"Abstraction of a city"

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Hi everyone. A new music. It is called "abstraction of a city", Niterói, the city where I Live. It has about 8 minutes long (sorry in advance for it). I hope someone likes it. Please make all the criticism that you deem appropriate. Thank you all.

macc.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/orianelima/bons-tempos

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I liked it better than your last one.

Sorta reminds me of minimalists like Brian Eno's Music For Airports or Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians.

If you haven't heard these yet look them up. You'll enjoy them for sure.

Gary ;)

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Hi, Gary, Brian Eno 's music is very good, but Steve Reich Music for 18 Musicians is a mesmerizing sound. very cool to hear. Thank you Gary:) for your opinion.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Nice.

I'm not sure that Steve Reich is a good comparison. My limited exposure to his music (I saw The Desert Music at the Brooklyn Academy of Music) had a much more rhythmic underpinning to his music. Brian Eno may be a much better comparison.

I do question the hashtag of "jazz" you've put on the track. But off the top of my head, I can't think of the right tag.

How did you create the music?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Judge for yourself.

I can see the resemblance of this steve reich music and oriane's "abstraction of a city" piece.

I think for one . . Gary, very perceptive of you to enable that comparison.
For two . . Very Nice music Oriane. Sorry I took so long to acknowledge it but for Fred asking . . How did you create it

Also . . In my mind, I am with Fred and reluctant to call it jazz.
More like "ambient melodic lounge"

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
I do question the hashtag of "jazz" you've put on the track. But off the top of my head, I can't think of the right tag.
How did you create the music?

Fred, I'm glad you asked that. "Sensu stricto" it really is not jazz. Dexter Gordon once said: "jazz is a beautiful word. I love it". And, instinctively, I just followed what he said, and perhaps that is why I tagged it as "jazz". But Fred, why does jazz has to sound like it is full of chaos. It seems that in modern times, libertarian and chaotic times in which we live, things extravasated the limits regarding the meaning of this kind of music. In current times, in fact, what is Jazz? Ok! The vast majority of music categorized as jazz is built on harmonic and rhythmic patterns that you can learn to hear, that is fine. But there is more to it, Alexander Gelfand wrote an interesting article about the current situation of this kind of rhythm in the current music scene, that is very interesting to read.

Life After the Death of Jazz http://thewalrus.ca/2006-07-music/

How did I do? Well, it was very simple, I used the technique known by many, since 1936, when Edgard Varèse experimented with records, playing them backwards, and at varying speeds. The Beetles and many others used it successfully. I just did an audio manipulation, reversing it and stretching it. Not all music manipulated this way results in a succession of well-structured agreable sounds (Most are rubbish). It takes, a lot of patience and time to get a successful sound. I consider them songs, whose outline, the underneath, the initial layer, had a rhythmic, harmonic and melodic human made foundation.

In both cases (Abstraction of a city and The Hunt), I could imagine an association, which pleased me, that's why I posted them.

PS.: Obviously, the examples cited by Gary, are much higher in knowledge and musical creation, than these mere experiments.

Thank you:)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
My objection to it's being compared with Reich's music is how important to Reich's music the rhythmic portion is. The strong pulse that's ever present through his pieces. (Thanks for the link; I hadn't heard that one, but it too has that pulse.) It's also present in a lot of Glass, and minimalism in general.

(If I remember correctly, Reich is a percussionist, and went to Africa to study their rhythms for a while. This is indicative of how important rhythms are to him. Have you heard Clapping Music?)

This in no way takes away from Eno. Just that stylistically I draw a line between the two. Yes, they're both very slow moving melodically, but the underpinnings are very different.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The vast majority of music categorized as jazz is built on harmonic and rhythmic patterns that you can learn to hear, that is fine.
why does jazz has to sound like it is full of chaos. It seems that in modern times, libertarian and chaotic times in which we live,
Many bands call themselves "jazz musicians" They often promote their bands music as jazz because it has a broader spectum. Rather than a #swing band or #big band or #orchehestral band or #blues band because these tags are limited. #jazz can usually cover many genres including swing, rock, blues, latin, etc. But it does not work the other way round.

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Hi, Ray, that's it. You're absolutely right. Jazz is jazz, period. Incidentally, this is the kind of jazz that I like to hear, just a killer sound.

:)Thank you for your comment, always well put.

Ask a Question