Anyone use General Music GEM products? I Need a Battery Replacement...

Reaction score
What up musicians!
My name is Mike, and this is my first post on this forum. Thanks for having it as a resource. I hope you can help me out.

I have a General Music GEM Gemysys Digital Piano and I cannot figure out where the battery is packaged.

I am an electrical engineer and should be able to recognize where it could be, but I'm failing miserably.

The company's website is bunk, and the technical manual only references the 'battery completely discharged' issue - not how to fix it.

It's a pain in the ass to wait for the OS to load every shutdown cycle, when I should be jamming.

Anyone have any experience with these machines?

Thanks,
Mike

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No sign of a CR2042? No sign of any mysterious little black plastic boxes that could be battery holders?

Most likely place to look would be around the power supply or around the SRAM chips.

What does a DVOM say when you poke around the unpowered board? Any signs of residual voltage if the battery's not totally gone yet?

Gary

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One other thought. Possibly located in a holder off the main board squirreled away in the chassis somewhere? Possibly behind a quick access panel?

Gary

Reaction score
I've seen older electronics with batteries that look like a capacitor before, and I think (not certain) that since about 2010 there's a battery(?) called a supercapacitor. Maybe your board has something similar; really reaching here I know, but Gary's pretty much covered all the other bases, and I know zero about the particular keyboard you're addressing.

Jim

Reaction score
I have the Equinox, 88 and 76 key. From the playing position the battery is located on the right side of the keyboard on the back wall. It looks like a barrel, like a miniature 55 gallon drum. I have an old one and can send you a picture if you'd like.

The barrel batteries leaked and created mainboard issues through corrosion. GEM issued a service bulletin regarding the issue to their service centers. When my battery went they sent me a 4.8 VDC 600 MAH nickel cadmium replacement which looks like three AA batteries shrink-wrapped together, like something you'd see in a wireless home phone. Installation required velcro and tie wraps to hold it in place inside the board. Also it was recommended to power up the board 1/week for a couple of hours to keep the battery charged and extend the battery life.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I need a replacement of sound I C and battery for my keyboard Gem WS2 workstation,please I need reply for immediate effect . Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190224_031257.jpg
    IMG_20190224_031257.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 401
Reaction score
Please I need CPU & SOUND GENERATOR BORD for my keyboard Gem WS2 workstation, please I need your reply for immediate action.

Attachments

• IMG_20190301_163115.jpg
    IMG_20190301_163115.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 793
Reaction score
let's try this again: In February 2009 Generalmusic dismissed all employees and immediately filed for bankruptcy, which was declared in 2011. So there are no more parts circulating around anywhere. One other potential is to try contacting Artie Specht who use to manage the facility in Illinois. He might be able to help you. If Artie can't help you and the link I sent above (in my first post) can't help you then you are out of luck other than buying another used one and using your current keyboard for parts for it.

Ask a Question