Bassist needing purchase advice

Reaction score
II'm in an originals band (as a bassist) and I let it slip that I can cover some keys, if required. So now I'm being asked to do just that - which is great, but the keyboard I have (Kork Triton LE) is driving me nuts trying to program it. So, before you bag on my for being a bone-headed bassist (which I kinda am), let's cut to why I'm posting: I would like a professional quality keyboard that is easier to navigate/program.

So here are my requirements
  • 61 or 76 keys
  • good sound quality
  • Under $1500 new
  • Reasonably portable (synth keys, not fully weighted keys)
  • Traditional sounds - organ/piano/EP/bass/brass - wild synthy lead/pad/ambient/trance stuff is fun but not required
  • easy to patch select/program. As in EASY. I'm a bassist here.
    • By "program", I mean set up splits and layers. I have no interest in modifying the base sounds themselves.
What I don't need is a workstation/sequencer/arpeggiator. If a keyboard has that stuff, *fine* - but it will go unused so I'd rather not pay for it.

I went to my local GC last PM to see what their ever-so intelligent sales staff could show me, but the store was ripped-up for remodeling and the staff was running around like chickens sans heads. So no joy there.

The new boards that seem fill this bill are the Roland Juno DI, Roland VR-09, the Korg KingKorg, the Yamaha Motif MX61, the Nord Electro 4 (If I decide to up my budget); What I'd really like is something a year or two old - I hate buying new gear (yup, I *am* a bassist, right?)

So if the folks on this forum have some suggestions, let's hear them. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
G'day Harry,

In that price range there's a mountain of good stuff you could get.

Firstly - stay away from the KingKorg. I own one of those. Excellent 'board but it's at its best playing "wild synthy lead/pad/ambient/trance stuff", not imitating pianos, organs, etc.

Secondly - jmemcse (member on here) owns two VR09's and can tell you more about those. It's supposed to be a good board, though.

Juno DI is also a really good 'board (I own its big brother, the Juno GI, which you might also consider), and would fit your requirements. Very easy to use too in regard to splitting/layering.

Other 'boards you might consider would be Roland FA-06, Korg Krome 61, Yamaha MOXF6. These all pack more punch than you're looking for with sequencers, etc. but reportedly sound top notch. I own the Krome, it is fantastic in the sound department.

I personally find Yamahas a bit difficult to penetrate from an interface perspective, and you're clearly not getting along with your Korg, but that's probably a matter of individual taste.

Good luck, I'm sure others will have plenty more suggestions for you.

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited:

Ask a Question