Best Affordable Synthesizer?

Reaction score
Okay, the word "best" is really all a matter of opinion. I'm looking for a keyboard that has a good sound quality (for the lower end of the price range, of course) and has the most features possible for customization and creating unique music.

I've been working with a Casio CTK-900 and while I was suprised at how much it had to offer for... ya know, being a Casio and all, it has it's limitations. The software that's packaged with it leaves alot to be desire. I'd like my keyboard to be working hand in hand with computer.

I was surfing Guitar Center's website and I came across the Axiom by M-Audio and it seems to be a sleak little package. It's got pitch bend and modulation wheels, 8 trigger pads, 8 encoder knobs and the software looks a whole lot better too. I'd either be getting the 25 or 49 key model.

After seeing it online, I went to the Guitar Center, had an Axiom 25 in my hands and headed for the counter. Halfway there, I got cold feet and left, Despite the low price of 175$, I don't want to make the wrong decision. I plan on heading out tonight to get a new keyboard and I just wanted to check with you guys to see if there's a keyboard comparable to the Axiom, in the same price range and may be better for me.

Reaction score
You do know that the Axiom 25 is just a MIDI controller, right? It has no onboard sounds and cannot be used apart from a computer. If that's not what you want, then not buying it was a good choice :)

Before you can get any useful help, do you mind telling us whether you want to work with your computer or want a standalone keyboard, whether you've got an amp or not (if you're working with your computer, that's not a real issue), whether you have a half-decent audio interface (computer work only; if you don't know what an audio interface is, you don't have one), what genres and styles you want to play in, and what particular sounds are important to you. We need to know what you hope to accomplish before we can give you useful help :)

Reaction score
Sorry for being vague guys. I have my CTK working hand in hand with my computer as much as possible so the transition to the Axiom wouldn't be that bad. I held off on buying it because my friends brother has the Axiom 25 so I got to tryin it out and I was very impressed.

Simplified yet more descriptive: Best bang for the buck, workstation/midi controller, what is it? I will patch the burnholes in my pockets until I get some feedback. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
In an effort to help you Kanthos asked you the following questions -

"Before you can get any useful help, do you mind telling us whether you want to work with your computer or want a standalone keyboard..?
whether you've got an amp or not..?
whether you have a half-decent audio interface..?
what genres and styles you want to play in..?
what particular sounds are important to you..?

We need to know what you hope to accomplish before we can give you useful help."

You haven't answered any of them..!!!

If you clarify what exactly you are looking for, then I'm sure some help will be forthcoming.

Reaction score
As for the workstation you mentioned, possibly the Yamaha MM6 or MM8 might be what you're looking for? The MM6 is the 61-key version, while the MM8 is the 88-key equivalent. It's a workstation that I think sells for around £400-£450 in the UK and it's often said to be a "mini-Motif."

I'm not sure if it can be used as a MIDI controller, but you do get a free version of Cubase with it.

Ask a Question