Casio CTK-6000 or Yamaha PSR-E423?

Reaction score
Hi, I know this question would invite subjective opinions. However, I really appreciate your insight and advice.

I would like to buy a new keyboard. Within my budget, it seems that the Casio CTK-6000 and Yamaha PSR-E423 are best bets. If I understand correctly, PSR-E423 is the latest model from Yamaha even though it was first released in 2010 or 2011. Meanwhile, CTK-6000 is the best keyboard from Casio (in that price range, and I know it is cheaper than CTK-7000).

Have you tried any of these two? What do you think about the good and bad points about these keyboads?

Personally, I would need a keyboard which has good styles/rhythms so that I can make use of their auto-accompaniment feature.

Thank you

Reaction score
After checking all the specs - I would say the Casio would be a better choice. It hase more sounds, more styles, more features and most importantly - More polyphony.

However - Yamaha's styles sound much warmer

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Skipp. I will go to YouTube for more demos on the Casio.

May I ask this question about the styles or rhythms (as Casio calls it)? The names of the styles in both cheap and more expensive keyboards by Yamaha or Casio often are the same. But in reality, do they sound differently? For example, in the various versions of Yamaha keyboards, we can see the Pop Ballad style. Are they the same?

Reaction score
Yamaha usually has a specific "generation" of styles/sounds. Older generations end up in newer cheap keyboards. For example the original Motif soundset (aprox. year 2000) can be found today in the yamaha MM6. It's a cheap synth with very limited editing options but with former flagship sounds.

Same goes for yamaha arrangers. Each style has a specific arrangement (drums,bass, guitar, strings...whatnot) and you can find the same Pop Ballad in some older yamaha arranger keyboards of higher price range. The biggest difference is the capabilities of the keyboard, the polyphony (VERY important), and style variations.

For example - Higher PSR models have 3 intros, 4 variations, 3 endings and each variation has a different fill-in while the cheaper PSRs have only 1 intro, 2 variations and 1 ending. The styles may sound the same, but you can't get the variety you would get in the higher models.

Also - cheaper models don't have SuperArticulation voices or several velocity sampling which makes the higher models sound much more natural.

The Y_man

Reaction score
If you look through the forum, one thing people with Casio's have discovered is that while the Yamaha's have a lot of style files (.sty) floating around the internet, there is nowhere near as many Casio Rhythm files available.

Also, while converting form a midi file to rhythm file is possible, as I have posted previously - it's a convoluted prcoess, and doesn't work for multi-bar backing.

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/casio-ctk-5000.23436/

I am also beginning to suspect the greater polyphony on the casio might be needed due to the "thinner" sounds on the device....

The Y-man

The Y_man

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Skipp. I will go to YouTube for more demos on the Casio.

May I ask this question about the styles or rhythms (as Casio calls it)? The names of the styles in both cheap and more expensive keyboards by Yamaha or Casio often are the same. But in reality, do they sound differently? For example, in the various versions of Yamaha keyboards, we can see the Pop Ballad style. Are they the same?

Nam,

I added a piece on my demo thread using "Piano Ballad" on my CTK-7000. It sould be identical to the CTK-6000 sounds.

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/ctk-7000-demo.23543/

The Y-man

Reaction score
Hi, I know this question would invite subjective opinions. However, I really appreciate your insight and advice.

I would like to buy a new keyboard. Within my budget, it seems that the Casio CTK-6000 and Yamaha PSR-E423 are best bets. If I understand correctly, PSR-E423 is the latest model from Yamaha even though it was first released in 2010 or 2011. Meanwhile, CTK-6000 is the best keyboard from Casio (in that price range, and I know it is cheaper than CTK-7000).

Have you tried any of these two? What do you think about the good and bad points about these keyboads?

Personally, I would need a keyboard which has good styles/rhythms so that I can make use of their auto-accompaniment feature.

Thank you

Hi to you Nam: Having spent many many hours researching the benefits and detriments of the major keyboard manufacturers, , althoh they EACH have a benefit or two that none of the others have, , , because MY most prominent desire, was the end result of the most realistically natural SOUND for the recording artist I do all of the composing for, , I chose the brand name that is most favoured thus, because IT is the ONLY one that's earned itself that legacy, , by always introducing percussion Rythm Styles and instrument Voices that are genuine "VST", Virtual Sound Track quality; in other words, ALL of Yamaha's SOUNDS are derived from original instruments, whether a kettle-drum or a sax', and to such extent, that none other keyboard can match that which Yamaha is capable of. Also, IT so far iz the ONLY brand that compatible periferal sounds can be obtained for by the thousands; a while back I purchased a disk containing 20,000 additional Rythm Styles that accomodate the taking apart and re-assembling of the drum-kits therein, becuz my most recently purchased keyboard permits that on-screen benefit; it's a Tyros-3 technically, with the PSR-S900 model name, becuz it's the direct forerunner of the Tyros-3, but with only one, miniscule, seldom ever desired feature not included, and that permits a saving of about 2000$. For a breif sampling of a few low-key professional performances done on Yamaha keyboards entirely, all of them 3 years old and one more than 20, perooz www.ezrasohf.com , , because I do all of his composing and arranging on Yamaha products, ecsept for one instance when he wanted a family inclusive recording made, and in that case, there are at least 3 ukes that are NOT of Yamaha sourse, but done live. Also, keep in mind that ONLY Yamaha is frequently introducing NEW user obtainable rythm-styles and voices on its keyboards, and another VERY important point, is that althoh such as Roland & Korg provide support for only a breif period concerning parts replacement, Yamaha does so for up to 20 years, and althoh I've yet to need anything of drastic importance and in only one instance, & that being for my PSS795 that's 22 years old, DO keep in mind, that in consideration of your initial outlay, you will =NOT= want to be STUCK with a keyboard that a few yearz from now, has virtually NO re-sale value, because of its BRAND =NOT= maintaining parts support.

Reaction score

Thank you

Reaction score
hi i've just joined this group .i have a casio ctk 6000 had it since june .i find it disappointing in the fact that the rythums sound very empty ,but i am able to do the few things like takig out differnt parts of a rythum and find that it plays midi's very nicely .but if you buy a key board make sure where you get it from ,they know all about it and can help. that was my biggest mistake i wish that i had looked at the yamaha psr 423 .regards rayeals

Reaction score
hi i've just joined this group .i have a casio ctk 6000 had it since june .i find it disappointing in the fact that the rythums sound very empty ,but i am able to do the few things like takig out differnt parts of a rythum and find that it plays midi's very nicely .but if you buy a key board make sure where you get it from ,they know all about it and can help. that was my biggest mistake i wish that i had looked at the yamaha psr 423 .regards rayeals
hi rayeals ........can pattern sequencing be done in ctk 6000

Reaction score
hi rayeals ........can pattern sequencing be done in ctk 6000
hi, i only play chords i don't use the other programs but i think you can, in fact iwas told for the money what this machine can do its great .if you buy a instument make sure you get some one who gived after sales service and can answer any questions .i am dissapointed with mine ,but it has some great features but i am going to look at a tyros 4 yamaha as soon as i get to the city .sorry i can help you

Reaction score
hi, i only play chords i don't use the other programs but i think you can, in fact iwas told for the money what this machine can do its great .if you buy a instument make sure you get some one who gived after sales service and can answer any questions .i am dissapointed with mine ,but it has some great features but i am going to look at a tyros 4 yamaha as soon as i get to the city .sorry i can help you
thank u ...... where did u buy ctk 6000 and hw much was it wen u bought

Ask a Question