CP40 or MOXF8

Reaction score
I've wanted a Yamaha keyboard for a long time and I believe I've narrowed it down to the CP40 and the MOXF8. I was able to test drive the MOXF8 at the local Guitar Center. I love the sounds. The key action will take some getting used to but I'm not too concerned with that. My dilemma is this: I really just need the sounds, not all the other bells and whistles. I don't do sequencing or anything like that. So for that reason I feel the CP40 is more what I need. But, I believe it's also heavier than the MOXF8 which I'm not crazy about. So the question that remains is ... Does the CP40 have the same sound set as the MOXF8? I welcome opinions from anyone who can provide some insight on this.

Also, please don't refer me to a website for comparison. I'm really looking for some first-hand experience.

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
I've wanted a Yamaha keyboard for a long time and I believe I've narrowed it down to the CP40 and the MOXF8. I was able to test drive the MOXF8 at the local Guitar Center. I love the sounds. The key action will take some getting used to but I'm not too concerned with that. My dilemma is this: I really just need the sounds, not all the other bells and whistles. I don't do sequencing or anything like that. So for that reason I feel the CP40 is more what I need. But, I believe it's also heavier than the MOXF8 which I'm not crazy about. So the question that remains is ... Does the CP40 have the same sound set as the MOXF8? I welcome opinions from anyone who can provide some insight on this.

Also, please don't refer me to a website for comparison. I'm really looking for some first-hand experience.

Thanks!!!
Hi i own the MOXF8 AND have access to the CP4 at my church. They're both good but the CP4 is not a moving keyboard. It needs a set place to stay. The CP4 does have Yamaha's best piano/ electric piano sounds. The advantage the MOXF8 has over the CP4 is it's light weight and expandable. You can actually upload sounds from the big daddy Motif XF into the MOXF 8 memory and they will stay there even when you turn the machine off! You never lose the sounds when the power is off. In essence, you can get the $5000 Motif MF for the price of the $2000 MOXF8! How cool is that?? I love my board. You will not be sorry if you buy the MOXF8!

Ask a Question