CTK-7000 a few months on

The Y_man

Reaction score
I've had the CTK-7000 for a few months now so some updates/observations for those who might be looking at this keyboard as a potential purchase.

• Sound from the built in speakers is ok for personal use in a small room - but lacks body and depth without the use of an external amp. Has a stereo line out which means you can go to an amp and listen to the built in speakers simultaneously which is a plus (the sepakers can also be switched off).
  • Haven't figured out the rhythm editor (to make your own backing). I've used Casio's conversion program which converts SMF (.mid) to CKF but it only allows 1 x drum 1 x bass and 3 x chords which is a bit limiting
  • The differences between the normal rhythm (backing) and variation is very slight in many cases which is a disappointment, and the fill-ins are a bit of a non-event.
  • The 4 button rhythm section (Intro, Normal/Fill, Variation/Fill, Ending) means it is difficult to cut over to a variation using a fill-in)
  • The recessed buttons are hard to use - especially while playing.
  • When auto harmony is used at the same time as layering, the auto harmony only applies to the first voice, not to the layered voice
  • While the tones can be edited, there's not much altering you can do to the fundamental sound (unless I haven't found it yet)
  • Compared to my (very) old Yamaha PSR, the strings sound harsh, It's hard to get a rich violin sound too - sounds very thin. I end up using the er-hu voice instead - which is surprisingly useful. The brass is bright. The pipes are ok (oboe, GM bagpipes, Shakuhachi). Piano's are a step up from my old machine, and organs are fine.
  • I wish the board would tell you if you were running on batteries (not when they're low already!) instead of AC power (when you forget to plug it in!!) :(
  • Playing songs from the SD card - can be really slow getting to songs - you can't directly access a position - you have to scroll though - hint do NOT use the wheel for this - it only goes through a song at a time. Use the up/down buttons which you can hold down
  • The music sheet holder is *very* shallow - I occasionally have sheet music falling down onto my keys while playing. It's also not tall enough to support an A4 page, which can fold over backwards and flip over....
  • As others have mentioned - once the music sheet holder is in place - it covers up the labels to the rear jacks - so you need to memorise where your headphone jack is etc
  • I am a bit worried that I can see what looks like the back of circuit boards between my keys - if the occasional liquid spill makes its way in.... :eek:
Overall, I am still happy with the purchase given the price vs functions/features for my purposes.

The Y-man

Reaction score
Hi Y-man,

You've said it all!
I own a WK7500 since a few months, I agree totally with your opinion and find the same pro's and cons.
The sound from the build in speakers is very average but I use a small mixer for my 2 keyboards (WK7500 and a PSR2000) and feed the mix into powered speakers. That makes a BIG difference.
Yes, for the money it is still a heck of a keyboard.

DickR
Bali

Reaction score
Bitch bitch bitch ...

Bitch bitch bitch ...

I remember buying a small 49-key (non-velocity-sensitive) stand-up keyboard in the mid 70's that had only 8 different voices (non-variable), 8 rhythms (non-variable, just tempo) and a mechanical reverb unit (I thought it funny when I opened it up to look inside, it had long springs inside that xmitted the sound from end of the spring's coils to the other, it explained why bumping the keyboard added fun sound FX), a polyphony of 8 notes (you could use all fingers, but not add a thumb), and it cost me over $4,500 .... ON SALE.

You people are SO effing spoiled!

LOL!!

The Y_man

Reaction score
Actually I had a complaint from the Church members last Sunday that my playing was too loud! Oh well.... must please the audience....

The Y-man

Reaction score
i want to use ctk-7000 as midi player. i have a question. can i browse to SDcard midi file while the ctk-7000 is currently playing midi file so that when the song is finished i am ready to play the next file? it will not be interrupted? unlike the KORG micro arranger it has 2 sequencer player, you can load file to sequencer2 while sequencer1 is playing back midi file.

The Y_man

Reaction score
i want to use ctk-7000 as midi player. i have a question. can i browse to SDcard midi file while the ctk-7000 is currently playing midi file so that when the song is finished i am ready to play the next file? it will not be interrupted? unlike the KORG micro arranger it has 2 sequencer player, you can load file to sequencer2 while sequencer1 is playing back midi file.

Unfortunately NO. You need to stop the play, and then search.

It is very primitive interface - and even looking for the right song is a pain - because it can only search sequentially.

The Y-man

Reaction score
I'm curious how you guys think it compares to the WK 3*** line. The WK3800 contains many of the functions of the WK7500, and you can buy one for about half the price. The 3800 also has the added feature of a full-blown sampler (you can load in sounds you build from WAV files). I also like the contrast of the buttons to the case on the 3800 over the all-black look of the WK7500 (easier to see what you're doing). And, finally, the speakers on the 3800 blow away the 7500.

All I can see that the 7500 has over the 3800 is a slightly better sequencer and a digital recorder, but you almost lose more than you gain (since there is no sampler). The 3800 also has a MOD wheel. The 7500 only has a MOD button like the WK3000, WK3200, and WK3300.

I've also read that people prefer the old ZPI technology (that was first introduced on the professional MZ2000 workstation ) over the AHL (which is only available on Casio's home and semi-pro keyboards). I have a WK500 and a WK3200, and with headphones I can't detect a whole lot of difference between the sounds, but I've heard that others can.

So, my recommendation, don't purchase a 7500. Find an old WK3700 or WK3800. I prefer the slightly older 3700 (even though it has a Smartmedia card instead of SD) because it has REAL MIDI ports...rather than USB. But, I'm an old-school kind of guy.

Reaction score
Does everyone notice this? When using the ctk7000 main out the volume is quite low. When I tried the phones out, wow it has more power!!.

Reaction score
lynchan44:
Does everyone notice this? When using the ctk7000 main out the volume is quite low. When I tried the phones out, wow it has more power!!.
Yes, that's because the phones out has a headphone amp. Phones out is designed for headphones. If you run it into an amp you're going to get distortion because the input is too high. This is true of all keyboards that have line and phones outputs.

Reaction score
lynchan44:

Yes, that's because the phones out has a headphone amp. Phones out is designed for headphones. If you run it into an amp you're going to get distortion because the input is too high. This is true of all keyboards that have line and phones outputs.
What about yamaha psr e423 it has only one output,. Phones and line out are combined.

Reaction score
What about yamaha psr e423 it has only one output,. Phones and line out are combined.
Keyboards with only one output have a headphone amp on the output by default. If you want to run those through an external amplifier, you'll want to add an attenuator (20db is usually good) to avoid overload and distortion. I have a Casio WK3200 that has that issue. I got an attenuator on eBay. It's a little black box I was able to attach to the board with double-stick tape. I go out of the output to the attenuator...then out to an amp. It works quite well.

Reaction score
Keyboards with only one output have a headphone amp on the output by default. If you want to run those through an external amplifier, you'll want to add an attenuator (20db is usually good) to avoid overload and distortion. I have a Casio WK3200 that has that issue. I got an attenuator on eBay. It's a little black box I was able to attach to the board with double-stick tape. I go out of the output to the attenuator...then out to an amp. It works quite well.

BTW: if you run directly into a mixing board, most of them have 20db attenuators built right in to each input. Just turn it on.

Reaction score
my few months with casio ctk7000.

SOUND: There is a less noticable hiss.
TONES: some electric piano patches are very low in volume even if the volume knob is set to the max. strings, clean guitar sounds are weak.
SEQUENCER: the only downside is the punch in recording. lets say you want to punch in at measure 80. to reach measure 80 you should hold and press the FF>> button to reach meausre 80. it will be better if casio include the numeric keypad in this model w/c is very usefull. ctk900 has this numeric keypad.
SD CARD: when you play SMF file via SD card and need to change patch when playback is going, the playback will be interupted. but if you play SMF via computer there is no problem.
DSP: surprisingly CTK 900 DSP is much better that to ctk7000. there is an equalizer on ctk900 dsp.

Reaction score
I agree with your assessment lynchan44. Fact is, if you're looking for a workstation with a good sequencer (and you don't want to use a computer to do it), then the newer Casio's are better. If you're looking for something with good sonic capability (DSP, Samples, Analog synth capability), the older WK-line synths are better than the new ones. Some of the samples and velocity switching on the brass is better than the older Casio's, but that doesn't make up for the lesser DSP capability, lack of Resonance on the Synth, and lack of ability to load in sampled sounds. I still say the WK3*00 line is one of the most underrated keyboards out there and, in many ways, blows away the newer Casio's. I'll take a WK3700 over a WK7500 any day!

Reaction score
I've had the CTK-7000 for a few months now so some updates/observations for those who might be looking at this keyboard as a potential purchase.

• Sound from the built in speakers is ok for personal use in a small room - but lacks body and depth without the use of an external amp. Has a stereo line out which means you can go to an amp and listen to the built in speakers simultaneously which is a plus (the sepakers can also be switched off).
  • Haven't figured out the rhythm editor (to make your own backing). I've used Casio's conversion program which converts SMF (.mid) to CKF but it only allows 1 x drum 1 x bass and 3 x chords which is a bit limiting
  • The differences between the normal rhythm (backing) and variation is very slight in many cases which is a disappointment, and the fill-ins are a bit of a non-event.
  • The 4 button rhythm section (Intro, Normal/Fill, Variation/Fill, Ending) means it is difficult to cut over to a variation using a fill-in)
  • The recessed buttons are hard to use - especially while playing.
  • When auto harmony is used at the same time as layering, the auto harmony only applies to the first voice, not to the layered voice
  • While the tones can be edited, there's not much altering you can do to the fundamental sound (unless I haven't found it yet)
  • Compared to my (very) old Yamaha PSR, the strings sound harsh, It's hard to get a rich violin sound too - sounds very thin. I end up using the er-hu voice instead - which is surprisingly useful. The brass is bright. The pipes are ok (oboe, GM bagpipes, Shakuhachi). Piano's are a step up from my old machine, and organs are fine.
  • I wish the board would tell you if you were running on batteries (not when they're low already!) instead of AC power (when you forget to plug it in!!) :(
  • Playing songs from the SD card - can be really slow getting to songs - you can't directly access a position - you have to scroll though - hint do NOT use the wheel for this - it only goes through a song at a time. Use the up/down buttons which you can hold down
  • The music sheet holder is *very* shallow - I occasionally have sheet music falling down onto my keys while playing. It's also not tall enough to support an A4 page, which can fold over backwards and flip over....
  • As others have mentioned - once the music sheet holder is in place - it covers up the labels to the rear jacks - so you need to memorise where your headphone jack is etc
  • I am a bit worried that I can see what looks like the back of circuit boards between my keys - if the occasional liquid spill makes its way in.... :eek:
Overall, I am still happy with the purchase given the price vs functions/features for my purposes.

The Y-man

When you say "the strings sound harsh...violin very thin...brass bright..." etc, is that listening through the built in speakers, through an external amplifier/speakers, through good quality headphones, or all of the above?

Have you listened to the new 7600 (with its equalizer that may reduce some harshness) in the down unda and when do you suppose they might release it to the primitives in the US?

Reaction score
When you say "the strings sound harsh...violin very thin...brass bright..." etc, is that listening through the built in speakers, through an external amplifier/speakers, through good quality headphones, or all of the above?

Have you listened to the new 7600 (with its equalizer that may reduce some harshness) in the down unda and when do you suppose they might release it to the primitives in the US?

From what I've read, the only difference between the 7600 and 7500 is the addition of an EQ. The WK3700 has an EQ AND better speakers. I still don't see what the big deal about the WK7500.

The Y_man

Reaction score

Tinny through built-in speakers and headphones (I use a Sennheiser that's about half the cost of the keyboard).

Obviously if you line out to a external amp with EQ control, things are much better (but if you set it to deal with the harshness of the strings say, then the organ settings become too boomy :oops: ) .

Haven't listened to the 7600 - haven't seen one around actually.

The Y-man

Reaction score
Tinny through built-in speakers and headphones (I use a Sennheiser that's about half the cost of the keyboard).

Obviously if you line out to a external amp with EQ control, things are much better (but if you set it to deal with the harshness of the strings say, then the organ settings become too boomy :oops: ) .

Haven't listened to the 7600 - haven't seen one around actually.

The Y-man

Let's say the strings are important to you and you want to reduce its harshness without muddying the other voices. Is it possible and how difficult is it to modify that particular voice to reduce the harshness and save it as a custom "strings."

Ask a Question