Fast chords on weighted keys

Reaction score
Any suggestions on technique for playing fast chords on weighted keys? I am just starting out. When I go from light keys to weighted keys I find the keys don't come back up as fast. My hands often come off the keys and I end up smacking them back down again. Seems like a recipe for injury.

In situations like this, do you just use less key travel and use more pressure?

Reaction score
Since you are just starting out, I highly recommend that you stick with the weighted keyboard for practice and hand memory learning. Weighted keyboards respond differently, and concentrating your time on the weighted keyboard will develop your ability to "feel" the action and adjust your playing. Don

Reaction score
Any suggestions on technique for playing fast chords on weighted keys? I am just starting out. When I go from light keys to weighted keys I find the keys don't come back up as fast. My hands often come off the keys and I end up smacking them back down again. Seems like a recipe for injury.

In situations like this, do you just use less key travel and use more pressure?

It sounds like you are moving your forearm to press and release the notes, if your hands are smacking down on the keyboard?
Try and play with your fingers, not your arms. It will be difficult at first, but you will find you can play much faster and with more control once you master the technique.

Ask a Question