Feels like a real piano, sounds like a real piano . . .

Reaction score
But it's not - it's a _____________

Please help me fill in the blank. I just sold our grand piano to raise funds to get an electronic keyboard but I've been out of that scene for many years (last one I had was a Korg SG-1D which I did love by the way)

I realize there are two ways to go here (self contained vs controller/rack) and I'm open to both. Also would like to keep the budget to roughly $2K but again am open to what else is out there. Is Kurzweil still the holy grail? Forgive my ignorance if not :)

Bottom line is I'm looking for the most authentic sound and touch as the real thing.

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this!

Reaction score
The new stuff is good. Get down to a dealer and have a play on some of them. It's a big purchase. You need to try before you buy (if you can).

Roland, Yamaha, Korg - all have good stuff out there. Casio PX3 gets a lot of love on the keyboard magazine (USA) forum - and is inexpensive. Kawai's a good make too.

Never owned anything by Kurzweil - not a lot of shops stock their stuff in the places I've lived.

Reaction score
I would steer clear of Kurzweil it seems parts are hard to get. I loved my ZR 76 but had to scape it could not get anyone to work on it because they couldn't get the parts anymore. But Goz211 was right you need to go play some to see what's new,Casio use to be junk but they are making some nice keyboards and they are much less than the other keyboards. Good luck and have fun

Ask a Question