Gigging Keyboard Advice !

Reaction score
Greetings all !
I am in a dire need for a keyboard, well basically i need to carry it aling with me for gigs and all that . I have some prerequisite s or expectations :

1) I want it to have atleast 61keys.
2) It'd be great if it could have weighted/semi weighted keys.
3) It should not be too heavy/bulky. Something portable is whst i need.
4) Inbuilt speakers are preferred. But a lack of them wont be a deal breaker either.

I know there's plenty of rich experience in these forums and I expect your kind support and advices as I am quite naive to the world of 'gigging'/stage keyboards. All i have is a DP at home. But that is 11kgs and not quite portable either.

Thanks much !

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Not a whole lot around with 61 weighted keys. Then again you have to make up your mind. Do you want weighted keys or do you want it not to be heavy? You seriously can't have both.

You didn't mention a budget but with built in speakers your best bets are probably the Casio WK-7600 or the CTK-7000.

Anything else of professional grade will need to be plugged into a keyboard AMP or PA system.

If speakers are not a deal breaker then take a look at the Korg Kross or the Roland Juno Di.

What styles of music will you be using it for specifically though?

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks a mil for your inputs, Gary !

I am primarily interested in playing Rock/Pop/Blues stuff and covers mostly. Nothing fancy with the sounds, would just need a decent piano, organ and some ep/soft synth sounds thrown in...

I am ok using it with a keyboard amp, but do i need to plug it into a computer as well for that ?

Which one would be more portable and 'sound' ready out of those you mentioned above ? I am not acquainted well with tech, and so looking for something that has everything ready.

Thanks again !

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Roland or the Korg would have more professional sounds. They'd cost almost twice as much as the Casios or a Yamaha e433 though.

The Casios and Yamaha would be more easily portable though and they would have built in speakers.

All of these are standalone keyboards. While able to work with a computer no computer is necessary to play or program any of them.

Again, I still don't know what kind of budget you're working with though.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks Gary !

I checked out both the Korg & Roland ones, and as expected they are way out of my budget.

I agree with your thoughts, however all i want is a 'decent' if not good/great piano sound . I dont have a car with me, so i'm pretty much on my own for carrying the keyboard with me for the purpose.

The CTK/PSR's are all toys ! I started with them and now i cant go back to them again ! :)

The WK option is interesting though. Also, I hear about M-Audio keyboards being portable and user friendly, is it any true ?

P.S. My budget is nothing more than 700USD !

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The CTK's are WK's with 61 keys. Otherwise they are sonically identical.

M-Audio doesn't really make standalone keyboards, they make MIDI Controllers. And I own an M-Audio Oxygen 49. It's key action is total crap. I only use it for hacking on the laptop. I wouldn't recommend an M-Audio keyboard to my worst enemy. :p

Consider looking at your local version of craigslist or ebay and find something gently used that fits your budget.

Dunno about Indian prices but in North America both the Juno Di and the Kross 61 sell for about $699 list.

Still if they gouge you on import duties then your best bet is to look up the Mumbai craigslist and see what's selling on the used market. That way you get to try before you buy.

A used Korg Triton LE 61 can be had for under $500 on local craigslists here in Canada.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks again for the thoughts man !

Well, I am starting to get an idea of what you are trying to explain.

In the meanwhile, I stumbled upon this option - M-Audio ProKeys 88sx

Do you have any clue about this ? It says it has a semi-weighted action and all the sounds which i really need/want . And plus, the price isnt that deary as well. Could you educate me a bit about this instrument .

Thanks again ! You've been very helpful gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Google a few reviews on the M-Audio ProKeys digital pianos. As far as I know they have pretty crappy reviews regarding build quality and I think the line is discontinued by M-Audio now anyway.

You'd be better off with a Casio WK 7500 than a Pro Keys I think.

The problem is your budget and the outrageous import fees you pay on musical instruments in India.

Like I said, in Canada both the Kross and the Juno Di would come in under your budget.

In India they penalize you for the country's economic prosperity with punitive tariffs.

Perhaps if you were to order one in from Japan or Taiwan or South Korea or China or brought one back from vacation you could save a few bucks?

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yeah Indian dealers are a ripoff.

http://www.furtadosonline.com/produ.../pg-1/sort-0/prod_available-0/type-1/st-.html

$700 USD is about 40 K Rupees. They're charging you that much for a stinking Casio WK or XW-P1.

XW-P1 can be had for about $399 in this country.

I'd suggest checking your options on ebay and craigslist Japan and Taiwan and Indonesia and see if the import duties are not too steep on used equipment.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, I'll have a look.

But I am quite disappointed tbh, All these years i've had this impression that keyboard players have to compromise quite a lot as compared to other musicians. Idk why i feel this, maybe I am ranting too much but yes, I still think we get a raw deal most of the times.

Its just a part of the job ! The instrument is so magnificent that the joy of playing it makes me forget all the bad in the world :)

Thanks !

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In a combo or gigging band the keyboardist always gets the short end of the stick. His gear weighs five times as much, is ten times more complicated and up to ten times more costly.

Next on the ladder of getting the short end of the stick though, are drummers. Especially nowadays with more and more electronic percussion entering the mix.

Good luck Bharat. On that site I linked the Juno Di is listed at 55,000 Rupees. If it's not too difficult a stretch for you I'd say save up a few more bucks and buy that one new if you can't find anything decent used.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually the Korg PS60 seems to have decent specs and it's only 7000 Rupees over your budget. Semi weighted keys too.

http://www.furtadosonline.com/product/Korg-synthesizer-ps60-203961.html

I'd say it's worthwhile dropping by a music shop and checking one out.

Gary

EDIT >>> I don't see this model for sale over here so it may be an Indian only model.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Apparently the PS60 was released three years ago and seems to be discontinued in the US and I'm not sure if it ever sold in Canada.

However it seems to have everything you asked for in a 10 lb giggable package and if that dealer has had it sitting on his shelf for 3 years now in inventory he may be open to negotiating a discounted price.

More so if it's an open box floor demo.

I think this might be the best deal you can find in India Bharat.

Gary

Reaction score
Hi Bharat,

If it helps, I own a Juno-Gi which is effectively the Di with an on board sequencer and a couple of additional weird sounds that you probably won't use. It is exceptionally light - if I understand correctly you don't have a car to transport it, so that would be a huge consideration. Gary is right, if you want weighted keys you can't really have a light keyboard. The keybed action feels (to me) ok though - better than my 61 key Korgs.

It's a good keyboard that has what I would consider acceptable piano and EP sounds. I don't love the organs but that's just me. I picked my Gi up second hand pretty cheap and the Di would be cheaper still - so definitely a possiblity for you. No in-built speakers I'm sorry to say, but a bonus is that it runs off batteries if you want for enhanced portability.

If you want slightly better sounds then you're looking at the Kross I reckon.

Paul

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs Gary and Paul !

The PS-60 looks promising to me, I'll have a look at it soon. And the best part is its weight.

I'll have a look at Roland Juno series too... And while I am writing this, I stumbled upon - Roland E-09 arranger keyboard. It looks interesting too... with onboard speakers, 61keys and portablility... not quite sure what an 'arranger' really is though hahaha :)

Anyways, thanks much for your time and thoughts guys ! I really appreciate your help

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't know the exact definition, but I think keyboard manufacturers refer to a model as an "arranger" if it has song-recording abilities and an auto-accompaniment feature. I guess the idea is that you can "create arrangements" on it. But it's sort of a loose definition, and a manufacturer may lump two different models under different labels-- e.g., one may be called an "arranger" and the other may be called a "workstation," or one may be called an "arranger" and the other may be called a "portable keyboard"-- apparently on the basis of a notable difference in price or in how extensive the song-recording abilities are.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/keyboard-workstation-buying-guide/

What Is An Arranger Keyboard?
There is another type of professional keyboard called an arranger. Arrangers have evolved into a necessary tool for the professional performing musician, and have even made their way into the studio. The main difference between a workstation and an arranger is that the arranger keyboard has built-in “auto-accompaniment.” In other words, with the push of just a few buttons, the keyboard will provide backing tracks that automatically match the style, rhythm, and tempo of what you’re playing. This has become a unique tool for composers who have to produce music quickly in a style they may not be familiar with. Even songwriters who don’t know how to program drums or play guitar can use the arranger to hear their songs being played by a band, without having to call in musicians. Finally, for the working solo performer, the arranger can add new dimension to your sound by giving you the advantage of sounding like a full band.

What is a Keyboard Workstation?
A keyboard workstation is equipped with tools for both performers and composers alike. In addition to basic “bread and butter sounds” that professional keyboards typically come with, a workstation generally has more synth sounds and more effects, as well as other music creation tools too numerous to mention in this context. Whether you’re a “one-man band,” performing in a group, or writing original music, the workstation can accomodate your musical needs.

Tone Generator
Keyboard workstations provide you with a greater palette for creating original sounds and effects than other types of professional keyboards. Workstations employ different methods of sound synthesis, most commonly pulse-code modulation, which is a method used to digitally represent sampled analog signals. With a great amount of control and ability to modulate hundreds of preset sounds, the keyboard workstation gives you the power to completely design and shape your own sound.

Sampling
If you’ve ever heard a sound out in the world, such as a car door slamming or an exotic instrument, perhaps the musician in you wanted to add that sound to the library on your keyboard. With keyboard workstations, you can do just that through a technique called sampling. Sampling allows you to digitally record any sound and reproduce it in varying pitches on your keyboard. This tool is especially useful for composers who are looking to create unique or authentic sounds for their music.

Sequencing or Audio Recording
Whether you’re performing live or writing original music, sequencing can be your friend. With the push of just a few buttons, you can record numerous parts of accompaniment on your keyboard, except the ones you are going to perform live, and play along with the sequenced backing track. Also, if you are performing cover music and want to produce more authentic covers, the workstation gives you options for reproducing the music more accurately, such as pre-programmed MIDI files. Some workstations also have a vocal harmonizer function to provide backup vocals while you perform.

Effects Processing
Applying effects to a MIDI or audio track can turn an ordinary sound into something special. All keyboard workstations include onboard effects processors. Many feature effects that can be applied to individual tracks (insert effects) as well as to the total mix (master effects). Additionally, workstations that include audio recording capability usually provide important sound shaping tools such as EQ and dynamics processing. This gives you even more control over the final sound that you produce with your keyboard workstation.

Ask a Question