Good midi keyboard? Not too expensive?

Reaction score
Hi, actually I was looking for a cheap one (max 100$/€)
But I think there won't be a good one at this price range.
I already tested 2 Midi keyboards at home. (Alesis q49 and M-Audio Keystation MkII)
Both disappointed me. The velocity is so bad. You have to hit like a freak on the keys to get its full sound. Especially the Keystation's velocity is way too low.

I am lookign for a keyboard where I can hit the keys normally and get 100% volume out of it. It should be sensitive of course too. So don't get me wrong.
Extra buttons are not necessary.

I would be glad to see responses.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Maybe something by Akai, Nektar, or Novation?

Reaction score
I just checked them. They have all these extra buttons. I don't think I have much space on my desktop.
I also wonder if I would ever use them. I mean all these buttons you have in your DAW as well. And If you make music on your pc, wouldn't you play each instrument alone? Until it is a full song? That was how I started making music last time. I made a simple melody, then added drums and so on.
Also I don't know if I buy a more expansive keyboard if the keyboard velocity will be higher.
I know now what I need. A keyboard with velocity curve.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Low volume of midi signal - that's my problem

In Kontakt I noticed you can change velocity, and it works well. But I could imagine it could be annoying, having to fix the velocity in every instrument each time I make music. Better would be a keyboard who can alter the velocity intensity, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
yes that's exactly what I think, it could be annoying. But I am afraid if I purchase a new one i will have the same problem. And then I have to send it back etc....
If I purchase a keyboard that has velocity control, then it will also have all the other additional buttons. That's going to be expansive... And the keyboard will be quite big.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The only MIDI keyboard controller I have personal experience with is the M-Audio Axiom 61-II.

I don't think you're going to find many choices if you want a 49-key controller, but one alternative to the M-Audio Keystation and Alesis Q49 is the Acorn Masterkey 49-- only $79.95 on Amazon with Amazon Prime. I have no experience with Acorn controllers, but it looks like it got some fairly decent reviews.

Ask a Question