Guitar player looking for 60/70s keyboard sound

Reaction score
Hi guys,

As a bass and guitar player, I am completely lost in keyboard discussions, and am looking for some guidance. I recently saw this amazing page, and fell completely head over heels for these amazing 60/70s sounds :

http://www.synthmania.com/sr-jv80-08.htm

Really, I just absolutely can't get them out of my head. I thought this would be my first keyboard. But it is only an expansion board. And it is an expansion board for a set of synthesizer modules, and also I would need a keyboard in addition. That would really break the bank for me.

Is there a single keyboard/cheaper option that would produce the same sounds with comparable (I can take a little lower) quality? The sounds that I really liked were patches 001, 002, 005, 025, 030, 033, 055, 084, 115, 124, 142, 144, 152, 163. Mostly a mix of Hammond and Rhodes sounds.

If a cheaper option is a software one, I can live with it, if the quality is comparable.

I would really appreciate any help on my decision.

Thank you,
Bassmazta

Reaction score
Hej bassmazta,

yes indeed this is a very special slot-card, which only works with some Roland instruments.

I would try to get a used Roland xp-50 keyboard. If have seen some on ebay between 350 - 550 US$.

Reaction score
Well, now I see that the Roland XP 50 is a JV 1080 with a built in keyboard. Looks pretty straight forward! Then I just buy the expansion slot card and I'm good to go!

Fantastic! Thanks very much goldi! My girlfriend is Swedish, so Tak so mycka! :p

Cheers
Shanker

Ask a Question