Help! Kronos 2 or Tyros 5?

Reaction score
Hello,
I have to change my keyboard. I play at home (repeat, try to compose ...) and soon live in a local band.
I own many softs, including Band in a Box and a huge collection of midi files.
I also have sounds in different formats (I have 2 EMU ESI 4000 and the complete EMU samples collection).
I want a workstation with very good sounds and also "at home" capabilities most complete as possible and usable (I want to play music, not with a computer, I was researcher in this domain).
I also need a semi-weighted keyboard, easiest for organ or synth, 73 keys min. (for splitting), not too heavy, solid and reliable (not more time at the aftersale counter than in my hands).
I'm hesitating between two devices: the Korg Kronos 2 and the Yamaha Tyros 5.
You'll tell me those machines are different. Maybe not for my use.
The demos of the Kronos are showing that its sounds are almost equivalent to those of a Nord Stage 2. Good. But, what about the rest? I'm trying to find a retailer for testing it but it's not easy (mine doesn't works with Korg no more because of ... too much returns and technical problems).
And, generally, people are telling you "Yes, it's a fantastic machine. You have all Korg inside. But, better buy ... anything else"! What does it means or hide?
I've heard the Tyros 5 with its TRS-MS05 amplification. It's excellent for playing guitar. I'm not very enthusiast with the piano and organ sounds. What I will use live (I also play guitar).
I'm very impessed with the back panel: everything is there! And it's very convenient for me.
I had a DX-7. No surpise. It's Yamaha. But, I hope they don't have changed: I never had a problem with it, despite bad conditions of transportation or use. It was strong built.
Someone told me recently "you can be confident with two brands: Nord and Yamaha. The others...".
I mostly play covers: blues (british or Chicago), pop of the 70/80 (including Beatles, Stones and also country-rock like America, Eagles, Poco ...), progressive music (Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Soft Machine, Caravan ...), "symphonic hard rock" (mainly german or nothern europe bands like Therion, Epica ...). Also some music like a french artist called St Germain (records Tourist and Boulevard). And, of course, I didn't forget my beginnings: classical piano and church organ.
Well, you know almost everything.
I would like to get advices of owners, avoiding the commercial side of a retailer which has an interest to sell you one brand better one other.
Lot of thanks for your help and patience.
François.

Reaction score
Hello,
I have to change my keyboard. I play at home (repeat, try to compose ...) and soon live in a local band.
I own many softs, including Band in a Box and a huge collection of midi files.
I also have sounds in different formats (I have 2 EMU ESI 4000 and the complete EMU samples collection).
I want a workstation with very good sounds and also "at home" capabilities most complete as possible and usable (I want to play music, not with a computer, I was researcher in this domain).
I also need a semi-weighted keyboard, easiest for organ or synth, 73 keys min. (for splitting), not too heavy, solid and reliable (not more time at the aftersale counter than in my hands).
I'm hesitating between two devices: the Korg Kronos 2 and the Yamaha Tyros 5.
You'll tell me those machines are different. Maybe not for my use.
The demos of the Kronos are showing that its sounds are almost equivalent to those of a Nord Stage 2. Good. But, what about the rest? I'm trying to find a retailer for testing it but it's not easy (mine doesn't works with Korg no more because of ... too much returns and technical problems).
And, generally, people are telling you "Yes, it's a fantastic machine. You have all Korg inside. But, better buy ... anything else"! What does it means or hide?
I've heard the Tyros 5 with its TRS-MS05 amplification. It's excellent for playing guitar. I'm not very enthusiast with the piano and organ sounds. What I will use live (I also play guitar).
I'm very impessed with the back panel: everything is there! And it's very convenient for me.
I had a DX-7. No surpise. It's Yamaha. But, I hope they don't have changed: I never had a problem with it, despite bad conditions of transportation or use. It was strong built.
Someone told me recently "you can be confident with two brands: Nord and Yamaha. The others...".
I mostly play covers: blues (british or Chicago), pop of the 70/80 (including Beatles, Stones and also country-rock like America, Eagles, Poco ...), progressive music (Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Soft Machine, Caravan ...), "symphonic hard rock" (mainly german or nothern europe bands like Therion, Epica ...). Also some music like a french artist called St Germain (records Tourist and Boulevard). And, of course, I didn't forget my beginnings: classical piano and church organ.
Well, you know almost everything.
I would like to get advices of owners, avoiding the commercial side of a retailer which has an interest to sell you one brand better one other.
Lot of thanks for your help and patience.
François.

François
Wow, you are trying to do a lot there, can I ask you a couple of extra questions, please? Do you have any other members to your band, yet? Also, since you are use to using Yamaha instruments , have you looked at the Motif XF6 or XF7?
If you are in a band, then you don't need the Tyros 5 which is very expensive anyway ( you already have BIAB for style playing, great for solo). The Yamaha, you will find ( even though it has been around longer) is easier to use, and a little friendlier to setup, than the Kronos. there is a great site online for backup and help called Motifator at http://www.motifator.com/ .
Again, you are paying for the new technology in the Korg and they do have some great sounds in that box, but so does the Yamaha XF - similar to the Tyros 5.
Also, the know that the Motif has your DX-7 sounds in it too, so you will feel comfortable. But really, it's up to you, if you can put up with the steep learning curve and feel that the Korg is a better keyboard then go for it. I have always played arranger keyboards, since I never had a band to play in. But when I did I never used an arranger style keyboard, it was frowned upon. I ended up playing either a Yamaha S90XF or a Roland RD700NX with hammer action keys. But this wasnever any good when I wanted to play a organ like a B3 sound etc., you know what that's like!

Allan

Reaction score
Hello,
My choice is done: the Kronos 2 will be at home around one month.
I like a lot of things in the Tyros. Some are details, like the movable screen able to display scores, setlist or anything else. But the sounds of the Kronos are equal or better than those of the NS2. Particularly the pianos and I still play classic.
I had a TX81Z and a DX7. The sounds of the Tyros are good but not fantastic. Yamaha, that's else ...
The Kronos is said to be unusable because of its complexity and ergonomy. I've tested NS2, Tyros and Kronos in a superb shop 45 km from home. Better than in Paris. The boss made me a tour of each synth, not exhaustive, but complete, give me headphones (an other customer was trying a guitar near there) and let me test myself the time that I wanted (he was knowing that I was here for buying. And it's not possible in Paris because ... too many people).
He didn't try to influence me. And I've turned for the Kronos because I think it's the best for me.
A thing about the ergonomy: it may look very complex. Yes, it is. But it was done by people working in computers with that spirit, not by musicians. I'm now retired, but I was researcher in computers. It helps a lot! I didn't know the Kronos, but I've never been lost.
The new band is just beginning. I will not play the same pieces with them and at home. We will not tour, but play in pubs or in local events. And, of course, at the "fête de la musique".
My actual instruments were buyed in 2000. I had enough time for saving money. I ever did like that, when I buy a new keyboard, I think that I will change it one day. For the guitars, it's different, four of my six are dating from the mid seventies and are still perfect. My bass is a Aria A-200. Still running well too!
Thanks for all.
François from Normandy.

Last edited:

Ask a Question