Hi, I'm Paul Knight, singer and pianist

Reaction score
Hi, all, I found this forum and hope to get and give advice. I work out of Manhattan and am glad to be part of the forum.

Paul

Facebook.com/SingerPaulKnight

Reaction score
Here's a little background of what I do:

1. I busk in the subways here in NYC, singing and using background tracks with a mic a small amp. It's been great for my development as a singer, brings in income, pays for voice lessons, and gets a few people on my fan list. I am considering bringing my keyboard and portable power into the subway from time to time (did it in the past) so that will really ramp up my act. I am gradually replacing the karaoke tracks I use with my own recordings of piano accompaniment. The NEW YORK TIMES published an autobiographical account of my life as a musician recently, which can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/ddgrateful. I know you'll enjoy this touching story.

2. I sing and play for hire at weddings and special events.

3. I produce my own small concerts, singing and playing.

4. I do a bit of church work as a singer and want to do more.

5. Eventually, my goal is to gradually phase out my day job in an office, and phase in enough gigs that I can support myself as a musician.

PK

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Paul and welcome to the forums. I read your press clipping and found it interesting. What percentage of your street performances pay the rents in NYC?

At any rate it is encouraging to see that people are still out there trying to live out their dreams. It must be rough hauling a hundred pounds of gear along with you to set up in a subway atrium or busy street corner. Do you do this all winter long or do you slow down when the weather gets slushy?

Looking forward to seeing you on the boards...

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Glad you liked the story in the NYTimes. Let's just say busking makes a difference in my life but I could never live on it.

Actually, I'm not hauling the keyboard at this time (but want to try it a bit). I have an extremely small set up that fits in a 21-inch duffel bag, which I wheel to and from the office and set up after work.

Weather is a bummer. Tips are extremely low during any weather people want to get out of. If it's raining, snowing, cold, or too hot, tips are down. Wintertime, things drop off something bad. But I do it anyway if I can keep warm and protect my voice (FYI, voice is my primary instrument).

Ask a Question