How to build patches

Reaction score
Hi guys just received my xp80 and delighted .
I'm stuck as I want to build a brass patch with a lot of weight in it not tinny.
Can anyone give me an idea on how to build patches as the manual is not great... I want to put a sax and brass together but I don't know how...
Please help .
Thanks in advance
James

Reaction score
Also ask in the

Gary ;)[/QUOTE]
Thanks for that but I did look at video nothing there on how to build patches.
Anyone please help. Thanks again for your time

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
How about this one?

or this one?

or this one?

considering there were over 2300 results to that search did you bother looking beyond page 1?

Gary

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not at all familiar with the Roland XP-80, but looking at your question from a generic viewpoint, one way a "sound designer" will try to fatten up a sound is to use two oscillators but detune them slightly. On a "ROMpler" workstation keyboard (i.e., one that plays sampled sounds, as opposed to a synthesizer), this same sort of idea can be accomplished by applying the Chorus effect.

You could also try adjusting the Filter Resonance and Filter Cutoff settings if the keyboard has them, or adjusting the equalizer settings as desired (e.g., to increase the lower frequencies and decrease the higher frequencies).

Another way to fatten up a sound is to use two oscillators tuned an octave apart. On a workstation keyboard, this can be accomplished by using two layers set to the same sound, but with one layer set an octave higher or lower than the other layer. Of course, you could also layer two different sounds together.

And you could combine these different approaches-- layer two sounds together (either the same sound or different sounds), set them an octave or more apart, apply different Chorus settings to each layer, as well as different filter settings. Or you could try different envelope settings-- e.g., the primary layer could have a faster attack followed by a moderate decay, and the secondary layer could have a slow attacker followed by a long decay/sustain, such that the primary layer is emphasized during the first part of the note, but the secondary layer is more dominant after the initial attack/decay phase.

Reaction score
Another tip for you...save yourself a bit of time and don't try and build your patch from scratch.

Start with one that sounds similar to what you want to end up with, and then have a fiddle around. Michael has given you some good suggestions above as things you can try. In my experience, the best way to learn to build/make/alter patches is to try altering different parameters and see what impact they have on the sound you are hearing. If you persist, over time you'll learn how each change impacts the sound you hear from your keyboard.

Also - every keyboard has its own unique character, so the more time you spend playing around with yours, the more you'll come to know and understand it.

Reaction score
Is there a way of saving a patch that I can transpose and save that transposed patch so when I call it up its already transposed...
Thanks inadvance

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Page 43 of the Owner's Manual shows some Performance Parts being edited, and the parameters on the screen include "Coarse Tune," "Fine Tune," and "Octave Shift." I'm guessing that "Coarse Tune" is for transposing the keys, whereas "Fine Tune" is for tuning the notes in cents. So it looks like you should be able to create a Performance setup and save different transpose settings for each Part if desired. But I haven't looked in the rest of the manual. It's unfortunate that the PDF is just images of the scanned pages, because it isn't possible to use the search function to look for a particular word or phrase.

I did see on page 38 where it says that the Transpose setting will be saved "even if you select a different Patch, Performance or Rhythm Set," so I'm not sure if that means the System Transpose setting will override the settings in the Patch, Performance, or Rhythm Set, or will be added to it, or will simply be remembered as the "default" setting. But that sentence does seem to imply that different Transpose settings can be saved for Patches, Performances, and Rhythm Sets.

Reaction score
Hi guys I need to change the battery on my xp80. I need to do a midi dump to midi ox on pc. Can anyone give me a tip on how to get xp conected so I can save my sounds before I replace battery.
Thanks in advance

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I don't see any mention in the manual of a USB-to-Host port, so you'll need to go from the MIDI Out port to a computer. Since computers don't have MIDI ports, you'll either need to get a MIDI-to-USB adapter, or-- if you plan to do much sequencing and recording using a DAW-- you might want to invest in an audio interface that has some MIDI ports, in which case you'd connect the keyboard to the interface using MIDI, then connect the interface to the computer using USB.

A word about MIDI-to-USB adapters... Although I don't have one, and thus have no personal experience with any of them, it's my understanding from reading reviews that you generally want to avoid the "dirt cheap" adapters, because they tend to be of poor quality. You don't need to spend a lot of money on one-- as far as I know, they're fairly inexpensive-- but just don't go with the cheapest one you find on the internet. And whichever one you decide to buy, read the user reviews first to see if the people who actually bought that one were happy with their purchase or whether they ended up sending it back and buying a different one.

Ask a Question