How to get sound from Roland FA76 to computer?

Reaction score
Hi!

So my problem is, that I have Roland FA76 and I want to get it´s original sounds to my computer like play these sounds from the keyboard and record them in my computer, but I just can´t do it. I have the MIDI cable that goes to MIDI IN and MIDI OUT on my keyboard and the other side goes to USB port. But let me know, through MIDI cable, you can transfer sounds? Do I have to download some sound packs to FL Studio, because right now, I see when I play, the digital synth there shows what note I play so I have it correctly connected, but I can´t just hear any of my synthesizer sound.

Please help!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
No, MIDI doesn't carry sound, just data. To record the sound coming from an instrument, connect it to your computer with an audio cable.

It looks like the FA-76 has five audio jacks-- two pairs of left/right jacks, and a stereo jack for headphones. I recommend using the stereo jack to simplify matters, but that's up to you. The rest of my comments are based on using the stereo headphones jack.

I assume the FA-76 requires 1/4-inch or 6.3mm audio plugs, whereas your computer requires 3.5mm audio plugs. You could buy an audio cable that has a 6.3mm plug on one end and a 3.5mm plug on the other end, but you'd probably need to order it online. It's more likely the stores in your area will have cables with either 6.3mm or 3.5mm plugs on both ends, depending on the type of store (6.3mm if it's a musical instrument store, and 3.5mm if it's a computer store or discount/department store). Then you can buy either a 6.3mm-to-3.5mm or 3.5mm-to-6.3mm adapter, depending on which plug size the cable has. Be sure to get a stereo cable and stereo adapter, not mono.

You may also want to get a splitter so you can plug a pair of headphones into the FA-76 while simultaneously connecting it to your computer.

Anyway, you plug the 6.3mm end of the cable into the FA-76's headphones jack, and the 3.5mm end into the computer's microphone jack. Then you can select the microphone line in as the audio source and record the keyboard to an audio track.

Note that if you're going to be using multiple parts on the keyboard-- i.e., layers and/or splits-- you might want to play each part separately, one at a time, so you can record it to its own individual audio track-- that way you can control the mix better and apply different effects to each part. Granted, it's more tedious to do it that way, but it's a drawback of recording audio, since with MIDI you can record each MIDI channel to its own MIDI track and play the layers and splits at the same time. Then you should be able to adjust the individual audio tracks to synchronize them.

Reaction score
I'd use this - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB
Your recordings will sound way better, well, unless you have a sound card with 24 bit dacs. Most computers have on-board 16 bit sound.
Plus, it lets you plug in xlr mic cables, and has extra midi in/out's.
The little Audiobox rocks for 99 bucks + you get a licensed copy of Studio One 2 Artist.
What's your hardware/software?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
@happyrat1: I figured there must surely be an audio cable like that, but I was trying to stick with a quick "walk into Walmart" type of solution so he wouldn't need to order anything and then have to wait for it to be delivered. :)

@jmemcse: He's using FL Studio, but my philosophy is "You can never have too many DAWs"-- if you can afford them, that is.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You won't find that cable at any Walmart I know of. Likewise not at any Dollar Store.

Amazon's the most convenient source for one unless you want to start touring the local musical instrument stores and electronic shops to find one and even then you'd probably be out of luck.

Amazon typically ships those out in a day or so and depending on where you live you might wait 2 to 5 days to get it but it's a sure fire solution to the problem. And at $3.99 for the cable it's also a reasonably priced one. :)

Gary

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You won't find that cable at any Walmart I know of.

Right, that's why I suggested a cable with an adapter. You could get a 6.3mm-to-6.3mm stereo cable at a musical instrument store and try to find a 6.3mm-to-3.5mm adapter to go with it, or you could get a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable at Walmart and probably get a 3.5mm-to-6.5mm adapter there as well. That's what I did-- and the adapter was part of a kit that also included a splitter and an extension cable. This was late at night when I suddenly decided I needed an adapter right then, as soon as possible, and I thought I'd left the adapter I already had in a box in storage in another city three hours away. It turned out I had my existing adapter in a Ziploc baggie in a box in a closet just 20 feet away-- but since I got a splitter and an extension cable to go along with the (extra) adapter, it all worked out to my satisfaction.

So I'd say that the ideal solution is to get a cable and adapter that you can start using right away, then order the other cable online (along with anything else you might need) so you can switch over to it when it arrives a few days later.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Considering the original poster is in Estonia I doubt there is a nearby Walmart anywhere to be found :D

If he's going to tour music shops looking for adapters then he may as well go there with a part number for the proper cable so he can at least have them order one in if it's not already in stock.

Gary

Ask a Question