"I Can't Drive 55" - how much keys are in this song?

Reaction score
Hi All ~

Complete noob here... I'm a singer, don't know how to 'REALLY' play keys, but am in a band where I decided to try and learn very key (pun intended) parts of songs on the keyboard where if you didn't hear that noise you would totally notice it from the song. (i.e. the 'horns' in Foreigner's Double Vision, the 80s drums in Bad Company's Rock and Roll Fantasy.)

We are now doing Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55". There have been some songs where luckily i can find a YouTube vid-yo actually showing the keys to play a part of a song. Sometimes when there's not any available I can figure it out by ear if it's not too complicated for someone who knows barely anything about playing instruments.

This one I'm not sure of. I can hear maybe a double octave E-E, E.... E-E, E... at the beginning of the song, and played again sporadically throughout. I can hear some higher keys in the background when he's singing the chorus, and will be able to decipher each of those notes. But when there are heavy guitar riffs or solos going on I can't tell if there's more keys behind the guitar to help thicken up the sound here and there? And if so what chords and during what part of the song?

See - told you I was a noob...

Thanks much for any help - much appreciated!

Reaction score
To my ear it sounds like there's a bit of organ mixed down quite low in there. When I'm in situations like yours when I'm not sure whether to add a part to fatten up a guitar riff or not, I usually ask my band mates and let them guide me.

Ask a Question