Keyboard recommendation : PSR-550 vs CTK-6000

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm looking for a secondhand keyboard for casual playing. I aim for Korg PA50, but its just out of my budget. I own a PSR 180 (very old), but its too basic.
So with budget that I have, and the one's that available for sale near my place now is either the old Yamaha PSR550 and Casio CTK6000.

PSR550 is old, but looks perfect during its time. Not many reviews in Youtube.
CTK6000 is much newer, and seems to have all the features.

I'm looking into better sound, where PSR550 boasts its XG, but as CTK6000 is newer, probably its much better sound ?

I'd appreciate all the input. Thanks !

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No personal experience with either one but the specs are more or less close.

Given the models you've listed I presume you are buying used?

How much is your budget exactly in what country's currency?

If you're shopping on Ebay I'd suggest forgetting about that market and start looking at your local craigslist.

I'd never buy a used keyboard from Ebay unless it was being sold by a reputable dealer and being offered for a really good price with free shipping.

Otherwise it's always best to shop locally on craigslist and actually try out a keyboard in person before laying down your cash.

Personally I find Ebay to usually be ridiculously overpriced and full of dodgy sellers.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Personally I find Ebay to usually be ridiculously overpriced and full of dodgy sellers.
Gary, I sold my Yamaha psr250 on ebay. Not all sellers are dodgy. My buyer was local and colleced it from me. I set it up and showed it. If he wasn't happy with it I would have shook his hand and said thanks anyway and re listed it. As it was he was happy and paid me cash.
If buying a second hand kb privately on ebay, make sure you can check it out no obligation before committing. If the seller says no, then he probably is dodgy. Move to the next ad.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
ths is yr bran in th mrnng

This is your brain in the morning after you've had your coffee. :)

Getting back to the question at hand, the PSR-550 is an older model but is actually superior to my PSR-E4x3 keyboards in several respects. Its primary drawbacks are that it uses a 3.5" floppy disk drive rather than a card reader or USB thumb drive, and it doesn't have a USB port for connecting to a computer-- so you'll need to get some 3.5" disks to use with it, as well as a USB-MIDI adaptor (or USB audio interface with MIDI ports).

Ask a Question