Keyboard songs online

Reaction score
You're unlikely to find many good leadsheets for rock and pop because it's rare that there are keyboard leads. You'll get the odd keyboard riff in a song that really stands out, but not enough to warrant a full part. And since keyboard players in a band are never playing the melody all the way through (i.e. doubling the vocals, doubling the guitar solo, etc.) there isn't as much sheet music that has that kind of thing. Certainly, you can go buy a book of, say, Nirvana songs arranged for piano, but they always sound really cheesy.

Honestly, your best bet is to teach yourself to pick things up by ear, using the chord chart as an example. If you're playing on your own, work out a part with melody from that, and if you're playing with a band, think about how you fit in with what they're playing.

Reaction score
How about this midi file for Don't Look Back in Anger?

For me, midi files are a great learning tool because:

- You can listen to the final result before you begin to learn it.
- With the appropriate software, you can print it as sheet music.
- While you learn, you can listen the file with a slower tempo.
- When the song is learned, you can mute the keyboard parts and use the file as a backing track.

Reaction score
Wow, how's that possible? Great site thanks a lot.

What software do you user to print ou tthe sheet?

Reaction score
I use Melody Assistant . You can use the free trial version to view the scores on screen, but I'm not sure you if can print them (the full version is only 25 USD).

Several other programs can do the same but I never tried them.

Reaction score
'
Please don't think I'm being 'clever' by saying this, but the fact of the matter is that you need to spend time practising scales, chords and chord 'inversions' to achieve what you're aiming for.

Oasis are one of my favourite bands (indeed they are from my home city) and one of their great strengths is that they keep things simple.

'Don't look back in anger' is a great song, and it is amazingly simple.

If you learn chord inversions, the melody in this song virtually plays itself!

One of the things about rock music, in general, is that it is 'flexible'.

If you learn the songs from sheet music / tabs etc, it will come across as 'wooden'.

The beauty of rock music, to me, is the way a song can be 'varied', whilst still keeping the essence of it the same.

I play in a rock band (we write our own stuff), and I can honestly say I don't think I've ever played a song exactly the same way twice.

Learn the basics, and the rest will come!

Reaction score
i've learned most of the melody by ear :) I thought it would be easier with just the sheet, but found out it's even better to learn it by listening.

Reaction score
'

Well done to you!

When you work things out for yourself not only do you get more 'into' the piece,
but also your sense of satisfaction & acheivement is something you'll never get if you
learn it 'parrot-fashion' from sheet music... it's basically someone else telling you what to do!

Occasionally, of course, you'll need a helping hand from tabs etc (I know I did when I was struggling with 'Bohemian Rhapsody'!).

But figuring something out for yourself, and making mistakes, can also help you to get creative aswell...
I've ended up writing my own songs by 'mis-playing' something I've been trying to learn, and thinking
"that's not right, but it sounds good!"

Reaction score
Can I ask you a question? I went on youtube to see some piano videos of DLBIA and I noticed many played the song differently from how I do.

Like this one, her/his fingers are everywhere!

I play more like this. Using the left hand for one chord at the time (C, then G , then F etc.) and the right hand for melody. Which way is right?

Reaction score
What you've done here is pick TWO prime examples of what I said about making rock
songs sound 'wooden'... this is how NOT to play this song!

I appreciate that you are trying to learn, but if you try to copy these so-called examples
you'll end up frustrated, thinking "why does it not sound how I'd like it to? "

You are on the right lines - the left hand normally plays the part a bass player would in
a band, so hit that bass note (this gives it more of that 'thump' factor) and, when you develop more technique you can add to it.

The right hand does most of the work - playing the chords, and including the melody.

Please don't be put off by videos such as these - to me they look like people who couldn't
express themselves (rock) musically at all..... typical of folks who learn everything 'parrot-fashion' from sheet music...
(as I mentioned in my previous post!)

I've just watched them again in disbelief at how bad they are!

Keep going - it'll be worth it in the end!

Ask a Question