Keyboard that can do a lot

Reaction score
Hi I'm Luke and very new at this. I've been playing piano for a couple months and I'm moving into a dorm pretty soon so I can't take my piano with me. I'm looking for a keyboard that can pretty much do it all. My favorite bands are Led Zeppelin and the Beatles so I want to play things that John Paul Jones played. But I also love classical piano and want to play stuff like Chopin (hopefully) Mozart and Beethoven. I'm thinking it's going to need to have 88 keys but I do kind of have a tight budget of about $500. If you can help me with any ideas that would be wonderful! Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Keyboard that can "do it all" with 88 keys = about $4K over your budget.

What does "do it all" mean to you? My definition may be different to yours.

Are you prepared to compromise on number of keys?

This might help get things closer to your $500 price range. And you'll definitely have to forgo a new keyboard in favour of second hand as Gary has suggested.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I know of someone on another forum site who just sold her acoustic piano and PSR-E433, and bought a used DGX-640 (which has 88 keys) to replace them both. She's happy with it. If you can find a used DGX-640 on your local Craigslist, I think it should be within the price range you're hoping for, and it has a wide variety of voices.

Reaction score
I really just want something I can play Led Zeppelin tunes like "All My Love" and "Trampled Under Foot" and classical pieces on. I read that if I wanted to play classical I would be better off with 88 keys, but I'd be willing to go a little less.

The 500 budget is because it's a christmas/birthday present and my parents would be buying it for me. But I really want a good keyboard so I could throw a couple hundred at it if necessary.

I did see a Kurzweil K2500 on Craigslist for 400. I know it doesn't have speakers but that's alright with me. What are your opinions on that?

Reaction score
K Series k/b's sound great but parts are hard to come by. You'd really be rolling the dice in the event of a k/b failure. Zeppelin doesn't have much k/b other than clavinet, some organ and synth. You also mentioned you wanted to play classical piano. So it sounds like you need piano, synth, clav and basic organ. Look at a Privia PX5S for about $800. Best I can see for your requirements and getting close to your price range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-PX-5S...618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234303a4c2

Reaction score
Wow that looks like what I want and beyond. Thank you, I'll do some convincing to my parents to see if I can get that. If I can't though is there maybe any others I should look at maybe with fewer keys but can do about what that can?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That's the best price I've seen for a PX-5S. They usually sell for about $899 which I'd assumed was over your budget.

Anyway, be advised that it's a professional stage piano with no built in speakers.

So do realize that you'll be playing it with headphones for at least a few weeks if not months until you can save up enough for a decent amp or powered studio monitors.

However there is a bright side to this.

You CAN also plug it directly into a quality home stereo system using the auxillary inputs and one of these cables.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CPR203-Dual-Inch/dp/B000068O18

That should hold you over in the meantime until you can afford to shell out for a good set of monitors.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, tomorrow's Black Friday in the US. I'd say it would be a good time to get your order in if you happen to see any deals happening in your neighbourhood or on the web this weekend.

Maybe your folks can front you the cash to pick it up right away.

Gary

Reaction score
That's perfect actually because I'm looking at getting a set of nice monitors pretty soon anyway! I'll talk to them when they up and hopefully they'll go for it!

Reaction score
The Casio Privia PX5S is one of the best keyboards around in it's price range. I bought one last year when they were first released and have been very pleased gigging with it. The feel and action is great to play, and sound possibilities are endless. Although Casio calls it a "stage piano", it has a super strong synth engine under the hood that gives it extensive flexibility in programming. Don

Reaction score
Well unfortunately I waited too long for the new one on ebay that was 799.99... would getting a used one at that same price be worth it? I don't know much about keyboards and how they "age" if you will, I know different instruments vary.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay $800 for a used PX-5S.

Just keep your eyes open for another deal popping up on Ebay or else just pay the usual $899 and buy yourself a new one.

Likewise you could always take a look at your local music stores and see if anyone has a demo model for sale. Those carry full warranty and have seen very light use.

My Kurzweil was a floor demo and I managed to score it for a $1000 below list.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, while it's unlikely a PX-5S would come up used on craigslist, keep your eyes open.

A reasonable price for a used PX-5S would be around $650 to $700 right now.

Gary

Reaction score
I'm gonna go do some looking around tomorrow, I also might wait to see of any deals happen Monday because of "cyber monday" so we'll see. I also check craigslist and ebay a couple times a day to see of anything new pops up.

I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sam Ash has a pretty good deal on a set of studio monitors. M-Audio BX5a D2 for $149

http://www.samash.com/black-friday/bx5-d2-5-active-studio-monitors-(pair)-mbx5d2pai

I use a set of these myself with a Mackie Subwoofer.

Very nice, uncolored sound and they usually sell for about $299 a pair.

Since you'll be needing monitors anyway you could do a lot worse for yourself than picking up a pair or these first.

Gary

Reaction score
Right after I posted that last post I looked on ebay and it just so happened that there was a brand new, unopened one for $780! So I ordered it! I'll have to check out those monitors. I have been going a bit crazy this black friday so I might have to wait but we'll see what I can do!

Ask a Question