Keyboard to use with McMillen 12 Step?

Reaction score
I play guitar in a duo. I would like to use the McMillen 12 Step to control a variety I'd sounds (piano, organ, brass, flutes, etc.) to fill out our sound a bit, while I play guitar. The most important feature to me is sound. I'd like a keyboard that produces decent sounds. Smaller is better, and because of the way I want to use it, I'm okay buying used. I would like to stay under $300.00. I appreciate any recommendations.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Look around for a used Korg TR61 or X50.

Should be doable under $350 and great sounds.

Gary ;)

Hey Gary.
Thanks for the advise. Based on reviews, the X50 looks good and exactly what I need. But, if I cant find one used, and HAD to but something a little newer, is there anything else you would recommend? Again, the most important feature to me is tone. Weighted keys, and the things a true piano player might look for is not a primary need for me. I see myself wither using the 12 Step as mentioned, or perhaps playing simple chords, and small fills with my hands. I play in a trio, so I just want some freedom to add a little spice to our songs and mix it up a bit with piano, organ, accordion, harmonica, strings, etc. Budget could go up a bit with a newer model, too.
Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well Rich.

If you're looking to buy newer and keep it under budget, then the Korg Kross 61 is the successor to the X50. I'd have to look up the price but I'm thinking around $699 USD these days.

Also worth looking at used is the Roland Juno Gi and Juno Di.

Great sounds and available used for the price of a song.

Maybe a used Yamaha MX-6 as well.

Any of those would do you nicely.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Well Rich.

If you're looking to buy newer and keep it under budget, then the Korg Kross 61 is the successor to the X50. I'd have to look up the price but I'm thinking around $699 USD these days.

Also worth looking at used is the Roland Juno Gi and Juno Di.

Great sounds and available used for the price of a song.

Maybe a used Yamaha MX-6 as well.

Any of those would do you nicely.

Gary ;)
Thanks again Gary!

Reaction score
If you're using the 12-Step, you have two options for MIDI (the way to connect it to the keyboard).

12-Step transfers data via USB. As far as I know, most keyboards still don't have a type-A USB slot to plug into. Keyboards these days will all have USB Type-B, which is mainly to connect to a computer.

The only solution would be to buy the Keith McMillen MIDI Expander to use the traditional 5-pin MIDI cable to connect to the keyboard. But you probably know all of this already.

I use the 12-Step with my Korg Kronos, which has 2 USB Type-A ports. Plug in and play. It's that simple. The price tag on the Kronos isn't simple though. Even the 61-key version is way out of the budget. There are some Yamaha boards that can connect via USB like the Motif. Ugh. These are all super high end.

The sad thing about the MIDI Expander is that it needs 3 cables.
12-Step -> Expander
Expander -> wall outlet for power
Expander -> keyboard via 5-pin cable

That's a lot of cables. Perhaps some tangles. I have another set of pedals, the StudioLogic MP-117. The advantage is that all it needs is a 5-pin and 9v power adapter. No need to mess around with USB or a secondary device.

The disadvantage is that the MP-117 can't be made to play chords, which is the cool thing about the 12-Step. It has so many different modes and can trigger 5 notes with one foot key. You will have to mess with downloading the editor and getting your computer to recognize the 12-Step for in depth customization. The 12-Step does have many built-in presets.

The Roland Juno does have both USB type ports in the back of it, but type-A is marked "memory". I'm never sure if some USB ports transmit MIDI data or not. It's usually treated as "Oh hey! Plug in your USB stick and record your song onto it!" Not sure if it's capable of connecting to another device like the 12-Step. It'd be a gamble without referring to the manual or finding some kind of example. Uhhhhhhhh I'm just rambling. >_<

Reaction score
If you're using the 12-Step, you have two options for MIDI (the way to connect it to the keyboard).

12-Step transfers data via USB. As far as I know, most keyboards still don't have a type-A USB slot to plug into. Keyboards these days will all have USB Type-B, which is mainly to connect to a computer.

The only solution would be to buy the Keith McMillen MIDI Expander to use the traditional 5-pin MIDI cable to connect to the keyboard. But you probably know all of this already.

I use the 12-Step with my Korg Kronos, which has 2 USB Type-A ports. Plug in and play. It's that simple. The price tag on the Kronos isn't simple though. Even the 61-key version is way out of the budget. There are some Yamaha boards that can connect via USB like the Motif. Ugh. These are all super high end.

The sad thing about the MIDI Expander is that it needs 3 cables.
12-Step -> Expander
Expander -> wall outlet for power
Expander -> keyboard via 5-pin cable

That's a lot of cables. Perhaps some tangles. I have another set of pedals, the StudioLogic MP-117. The advantage is that all it needs is a 5-pin and 9v power adapter. No need to mess around with USB or a secondary device.

The disadvantage is that the MP-117 can't be made to play chords, which is the cool thing about the 12-Step. It has so many different modes and can trigger 5 notes with one foot key. You will have to mess with downloading the editor and getting your computer to recognize the 12-Step for in depth customization. The 12-Step does have many built-in presets.

The Roland Juno does have both USB type ports in the back of it, but type-A is marked "memory". I'm never sure if some USB ports transmit MIDI data or not. It's usually treated as "Oh hey! Plug in your USB stick and record your song onto it!" Not sure if it's capable of connecting to another device like the 12-Step. It'd be a gamble without referring to the manual or finding some kind of example. Uhhhhhhhh I'm just rambling. >_<

Thanks Perilous. Yes, I did some reading on the 12 step and I understand the need for the expander. (My guitar gear is all digital via Fractal Audio, so I'm somewhat familiar with midi). Gary's suggestion about the Korg X50 or the Kross 61 are probably the way I'll go. QUESTION: If I have the 12-Step plugged into either keyboard, can I still play the actual keyboard and not use the 12-step? In other words, plugging in the 12-step doesn't "override" this ability to use the keys, does it?
Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Are you thinking about the 12 step playing a different sound than the keyboard, or the same sound?

Hi Fred. To be clear, I think there is a possibility that on some songs I my use the 12 step as I described above, and on other songs I may actually play (and I use the term loosely) the keys with my hands, and I was wondering if having the 12 Step plugged in, "overrides" the ability to use the keys.

Reaction score
Also, a local guy says he has a Korg X50 with the original box in Excellent condition for $175.00. It was a "family instrument" and his son played it for a while. Is that a good price? I'm thinking it is.

Reaction score
I'm an auction hoarder and if I saw a keyboard with korg on it for 175.00 and it appeared to be taken care of where it would likely work I'd jump right on it without knowing anything about that type of keyboard to begin with or even considering I might want to get something more fitting right after. .

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
$175 for a pristine X50 is a total bargain.

Don't even think about it.

Go to the bank on your lunch break and pick it up tonight.

Way too good a deal to pass up.

It's about half the going rate.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
If the X50 is in excellent shape, you might even be able to re-sell it for more money and make a profit if the board itself doesn't work out for you in a band setting. :p

But no, the 12-Step is not going to override anything. It's merely a controller, a extra set of keys to trigger sounds. If you get the 12-Step connected with the X50 and it doesn't make any sounds, then there's a problem Midi Channels.

It appears the X50 has Combi mode in which you can select and play more than one sound at a time. You could split the keyboard in half, the upper portion of the keys being a synth pad, the lower keys being an electric bass, for instance. Looks like the X50 is 61 keys. I'm thinking the C down from the left side of the display screen is middle C, or C4. The lowest C, the last key on the low end of the keyboard must be C2. Of course this can all be transposed up or down octaves. If the 12-Step covers the C1-C2, or the C2-C3 range, that still leaves plenty of keys to play with your hands, triggering different sounds with your hands and feet if you're playing simultaneously (but that's quite difficult if you're not an organist.)

if I saw a keyboard with korg on it for 175.00 and it appeared to be taken care of where it would likely work I'd jump right on it
Even a Korg Monotron? :rolleyes:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Combi mode on the X50 handles the splits and layers as separate MIDI channels.

In theory he could use the 12 step in multi timbral mode to play backing tracks on the upper channels and still use the keys to play on channel 1 fer sure and not sure about 2, 3 and 4.

On the X50, MULTI activates the multi timbral mode.

Personally I don't really use mine as a controller much, preferring to use my Kurzweil instead, and mainly use the Korg as a multi timbral module.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Lol... Well, I think I lost my chance. If it's available Sunday, it's mine, but I think others will beat me to it. I'll let you know.
Thanks again for all the great help. I do appreciate it.

Ask a Question