Korg keyboards

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a korg ec100h and have been searching the Internet for any reviews, with no luck :/. Can anybody tell me if it is any good?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
From what I can see there are no blogs, no manuals, no descriptions or anything on this piano.

I can't even find out when it was made.

Considering how many question marks this raises and how many other fine instruments are available I would pass on this one unless it is offered to you for a ridiculously low price like under $100.

Otherwise spend a little more and get a Korg SP250 or something similar.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I was quite surprised to see nothing on the Internet about it aswel :/. Ive been offered it for £150. Not really sure what to get tbh. I want a 88key fully weighted at a very reasonable price....

Reaction score
To be completely honest with you. I am a complete beginner and was just advised to get an 88 key fully weighted. In your opinion....should I get a smaller one to start or a full size one? Sorry to be annoying

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
150 GBP is still about $300 USD.

I wouldn't be inclined to spend that much on a complete unknown.

Look around in craigslist for a used low end Casio PX-120 or an old Yamaha CP.

There's nothing wrong with buying used and 88 key weighted hammer action is a good place to start. However, I'd advise that you don't look at anything more than ten years old and nothing that looks like it may have been abused.

If you're buying used it would be helpful to have an experienced keyboard player along with you and test it thoroughly before you buy.

Make certain that EVERY key, switch, button, knob and jack is fully functional and performs according to spec.

Look for signs olf transport and abuse like scratches on the bottom and dings and dents at the corner.

What you ideally want to buy is something that Mommy's pride and joy gave up on and they kept it in their living room under a dustcover.

Like I said though, for 150 GBP all you'll find is very low end or else you'll be stuck with some vintage antique that's a repair bill waiting to happen.

Gary

Reaction score
To be completely honest with you. I am a complete beginner and was just advised to get an 88 key fully weighted. In your opinion....should I get a smaller one to start or a full size one? Sorry to be annoying
Short answer is it really depends on what you can afford - if you're a complete beginner you really won't miss those handful of keys at the very low and very high end, and far better to get a better keyboard with fewer keys than a cheaper one with 88.

PS you're hardly annoying :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There are arguments supporting both types of keyboard for a beginner.

The argument in support of 88 Keys weighted hammer action is if you wish to learn true piano style.

Then again, if your interest is in learning to play organ styles or synth styles then weighted hammer action can actually impede your progress.

Truth be told if you are not playing classical piano then chances are you'll never need more than 61 or 76 keys. 76 keys is adequate for playing about 90% of the popular music around today.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi.
Yes I did notice but couldn't' help myself....I've just rekindled my interest keyboards and was searching to see how much it was worth and came across this thread.
Regards

Reaction score
It's ageing now, some of the laminate edges are peeling away and I've had to rewire the pedals.... it still plays nicely although the piano sound is really dated.
I bought it in 1997 and have had years of fun with it but it just collects dust now.
I'm going to have a look for some keyboards today. I'm torn between the korg Krome and the yamaha moxf8, I've heard the krome is difficult to program?
I'm sold on the system 8 aswell but it' just getting the cash together.

Reaction score
I have two Korgs and have struggled getting to grips with the operating system.

I have described them as being written in Klingon, but once mastered it becomes very easy to work with. Korg have Video Manual tutorials on Youtube on their range that are well worth watching, just ensure its Korgs own Video Manual series as Youtube mixes them all up.

If you are going into a music store to have a test run of them include a Roland Juno DS which sounds great and is far more easier to program, Roland have just released an updated operating system for these models which have 88 and 61 key versions and I understand different actions, I have played a 61 but not an 88.

Reaction score
Ok, maybe difficult was the wrong word to use then. I should of said tricky.

I have just spent a hour messing about with the system 8- which I think I'm going to buy in the near future.

They also have in store the 73 key Krome, which I couldnt get used to the key action, there is too much resistance on the keys when pressing close to the pivot point if you get what I mean....
I am now leaning towards the Yamaha moxf8 as I found it more accessible/ easier to navigate and a better key action.
I think I need a good demonstration of it first to be sure.

Oh, the nice fella at the store dragged me over to the Nord section and showed me the stage 3 synth.....at £3.5k it's a little out of my bracket- but nice try anyway.

Reaction score
Jason
Just noticed from your cost quote that you must be in the UK.

If you are near a PMT store they have a huge working display of keyboards, at least the Manchester store does.

There is Music Matter in Preston that has quite a few Yamahas, Korg, Roland and Nord units on show.

Reaction score
Jason

If you are near a PMT store they have a huge working display of keyboards, at least the Manchester store does.

There is Music Matter in Preston that has quite a few Yamahas, Korg, Roland and Nord units on show.
Jason

Yes, that's where I went this morning in Birmingham... Massive selection of gear I must say.

There is a Guitarguitar shop a few miles up he road just before Birmingham that I haven't been in yet as they didn't stock the Yamaha.

I'll have another mess around on my next day off

Reaction score
They also have in store the 73 key Krome, which I couldnt get used to the key action, there is too much resistance on the keys when pressing close to the pivot point if you get what I mean....
I am now leaning towards the Yamaha moxf8 as I found it more accessible/ easier to navigate and a better key action.
The action on the 73 key Krome certainly takes a bit of getting used to. It's not the most responsive feeling keybed going around and playing in keys such as F# major is not easy if you're in the habit of digging deep into the action. I'd certainly give the Moxf8 the upper hand in that category.

I violently disagree on the UI though. The Krome is very easy to use, to the point where I've been able to program patch changes mid-song without the band noticing! I find the Moxf8 setup far more arcane and counter-intuitive.

But these things are matters of personal taste, of course.

Ask a Question