Korg SP-80 project!

Reaction score
I have an old Korg SP-80 that I was hoping to repair, got it really cheap for a project. Due to a busy work schedule I haven't had time to work on it and decided to take it to a shop, and the response I've gotten from everyone is that parts are unavailable and it is too much of a hassle to even give it a look. There are a few broken keys, it does power on, but the output is a muddy, crackling sound at low volume. My question is, are there parts such as replacement keys available, and would it be wise to swap out capacitors and stuff or does it seem like a possibly harder-to-find part may be needed?
Thanks,
J.B. Offutt

Reaction score
Thanks! Do you think the replacement keys for the SP 100 from Syntaur would be compatible with the 80? Also, would you advise me updating the capacitors to resolve the distorted sound or would there be a better step to breath life back into this unit?
Thank you for the response,
J.B. Offutt

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Without the proper tools (ie scope, ESR meter, etc.) to test out the circuit and pinpoint the trouble, just randomly replacing components is not the way to fix this. The distortion could be caused by any component in the chain, including but not limited to OP Amp ICs, Output transistors, resistors or capacitors.

As for the keys, you'd have to contact the suppliers directly via email and ask them if they are a good fit or not.

My advice is to go back to your tech and point him at the parts suppliers and then get a real estimate on what it would cost you to fix. A scope and an ESR meter alone would set you back $800. Better to leave this to a pro.

Gary

Ask a Question