Kurzweil SP4-7 keyboard latency problem

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried playing glissando on the SP4-7? (if you don't know, glissando is running your hand down the entire keyboard really fast). If you have an SP4-7, please try it and let me know your results. There is a delay from after you finish running your hands down the keys, and when you actually hear the sound. Is this normal for this keyboard? Or is there something wrong with mine? I have a video I can email as an example if you're curious. Thanks

Reaction score
G'day,

I have an SP4-7 and am unable to duplicate your results.

Questions:

1. Are you defining "glissando" as a chromatic run down or up the keyboard with your fingers, or are you defining it as a palm swipe down the white keys like a jazz organist?

2. Is it all patches or only certain ones?

3. How long is the delay?

4. Does the "delay" continue after you release the keys?

5. Are you standing further than 500 metres away from the PA? :)

Cheers!

Reaction score
1. More like a palm swipe down the entire keybed, really fast. Happens on just a few octaves as well. Up or down the keyboard.
2. Happens on all patches, plus on MIDI out controlling other keyboards.
3. The delay is like a badly set audio interface with high buffer settings. Almost a full second.
4. I run my hand down the entire length of the keybed fast, take it completely off, and about the last two octaves are sounding at that point. Very delayed.
5. haha, I'm sitting 1 ft from my speaker.

I can email you a video of this if you're curious.

Reaction score
Kurzweil designs their own chip (known as the MARA chip). One of the advantages of the chip is a reduction in latency as compared to other manufacturers. Ping Jean at (e-mail address removed). He can take you through some diagnostics to determine where your issue is.

This happened to my GEM Equinox about 10 years ago. I reloaded the operating system and the issue went away. Apparently there was some OS corruption that the reloading cured.

Reaction score
That issue is definitely unique to your SP4-7. I do a little bit of palm swiping on mine and haven't experienced anything like what you're describing.

Ask a Question