LIVE KEYBOARD SUGGESTIONS

Reaction score
Have a live performance question. Looking for some feedback from fellow keyboard players.

Wondering what your sound setup is when you gig Out? For example, I've always run my keys through the PA mains, along with vocals. The Problem is, I dont have easy access to mixer for volume changes or adjustments (a guitar player does!hehe). Thus by the end of a gig or set, my level has dropped and I can't easily fix. Dang guitar players. Rather than shoot him, I'm considering a different set up and would welcome your feedback.

I have a small pa myself, a Yamaha Stagepas 500 and a roland kc550. Either would give enough power Id imagine. Our venues are around 100-200 people.

Wondering what insights you have on live sound for keys in a band.

Reaction score
Hi Richie,

I would not rule out shooting the guitar player for a start ;).

However if this is not practical, you definitely need to invest in a line mixer, this will help you immensely.

I run my rig through an eight channel stereo line mixer. From there it goes out to the mixing desk via stereo DI boxes. I keep mixer just under one of my keyboards so I can make level changes as I need to during the set. My mixer has a separate line out which goes to my monitor, so I can be in control of my on-stage sound. You could definitely do similar with your pa.
Foldback.jpg
Mixer.jpg

Cheers,

Paul

Reaction score
MDR624_angle-display.jpg

Samson MDR 624. Get one of these for $79 at zzounds or sweetwater or wherever. They work really well. You might need a direct box for your line to the FOH.

Reaction score
I run my rig through a line mixer (a rack unit from Behringer) and a stereo di box and then through the main PA along with the voices and main mix. Has worked great so far. I am running up to 5 or 6 keyboards on bigger shows so this started more as a necessity because of shortage of channels but Now I always use this even if I am running only 2 boards to be better able to fiddle with the mixing of the boards in relation to each other

Ask a Question