Looking for a digital piano for my home

Reaction score
Hi;
I've been looking to replace my old baby grand acoustic (which is in bad shape) with something my daughter can take lessons on and something I would enjoy playing as well. It must look good as this will be in our living room.

I was taken with the Roland DP90se (in white) but after playing and hearing the HP506 next to the F120 I am concerned that the speakers on the DP90 are not going to fill the room with an amazing piano sound. The HP506 in ebony polished black is nice and I'm leaning toward that although I really prefer the look of the compact piano.

Other than some good electric piano sounds and some interactive lesson capabilities I would say looks and internal speaker quality are of prime importance.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
After a baby grand filling the void with anything electric is going to sound crappy by comparison unless you pump it thru some kind of external amp and speakers.

Both Kawai and Kurzweil make some top notch home models, but with anything built in you're limited by the acoustics and placement within the cabinet.

Then again you can pick up a thoroughly reconditioned baby grand used for about $5000 USD.

Used uprights and spinets can be found on craigslist ranging anywhere from "You take it for free if you haul it away" to 1 or 2 thou.

Again I say it is highly unlikely you will find anything that will sound as realistic as the grand in the electronic area unless you sink at least another thou into monitors and a subwoofer.

My advice is to scan your local craigslist and visit your local piano dealer and see what's available in "previously loved" models before committing to an electronic instrument.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question