Looking for a new keyboard...

Reaction score
I'm new here so hello everybody! Hope you can help me people... Years ago I had a Yamaha psr e443 but I sell it because of space problems (We move from our old house). Now I want to buy another, I loved yamaha psr e443 but my budget now is about 250$ (I'm spanish so I actually use euros but this is easier for you), I'm hesitating between Yamaha psr e353 and Casio CTK 4400. The prices are very similar.

My needs are the following:

-Good piano/strings sounds, because I love to play symphonic metal (Nightwish, Within Temptation, Sonata artica etc..). But also love to play some songs on piano like river flows in you or comptine d'autre l'apres midi of Amelie (For example).
-I don't like synth keys so... I think this is bad for yamaha
-Midi port, because I compose a lot with Fl studio
-Good keyboard speakers
-I dont mind about weight or number of keys, 61 is enough for me

Thanks in advance guys.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have a PSR-E443 myself, and enjoy it a lot. If you liked its sounds then you should also like the PSR-E353's sounds, although it doesn't have all of the features that the PSR-E443 does-- and it has those synth-style keys that you don't like.

Note that Yamaha is expected to be coming out with the new PSR-E453 in a few months. Some people will be looking to sell their PSR-E443 or PSR-E433 in preparation for buying a PSR-E453. So if you liked the PSR-E443 but can't afford a new one right now, it might be possible to buy a used PSR-E443 or PSR-E433 for a good price.

I'm not familiar with the CTK-4400, other than what its manual says. It does have better polyphony than the PSR-E353-- 48 notes versus 32 notes-- and lets you save and recall more registrations than the PSR-E353 does. If possible, you should play one in a store to see whether you like its sounds.

Reaction score
Thanks for your warm welcome Becky, and thank you SeaGtGruff for your advice. Last Tuesday I went to my local music store and play one... Casio CTK-4400 really disappointed me, the string sound is bad, very bad, sounds closer to an accordion... The only think I liked from Casio was the design and the keys. The piano sound was good, very similar to yamaha but again, yamaha won that round for his wide-stereo technology and the quality of the speakers... I think I'll go for Yamaha as I did some years ago. Casio have to put some effort to catch yamaha. Thanks again;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I've owned only one Casio keyboard, and it was a low-end model-- CTK-710. I've also played my nephew's WK-110. I was never very happy with most of the sounds, although I did like some of them a lot. I think Yamaha has Casio beat when it comes to the sounds on the low-end keyboards, although Casio certainly has Yamaha beat when it comes to how much polyphony and how many features you get for the same price. And I think some instrument sounds (Yamaha = "voices" / Casio = "tones") just don't sound convincing on the low-end models-- e.g., Casio's string tones may sound "bad, very bad," and Yamaha's string voices may sound better than Casio's, but Yamaha's don't sound all that convincing to me, either. But I'm not a Casio-basher like some Yamaha devotees, and I'm very impressed with some of Casio's more expensive models, such as the PX-5S. It seems that regardless of whether you opt for Casio or Yamaha, you shouldn't expect really high-quality sounds unless you buy one of their high-priced models. :)

The Y_man

Reaction score
As some of my earlier posts attest when I bought my CTK-7000, I was bedazzled by the features - but must say disappointed with the strings and pianos compared to my old Yammie.

The Y-man

Ask a Question