Looking for digital piano

Reaction score
Hey!
I created this topic, because i'm looking for specified digital piano, and guys on polish forums weren't actually very helpful, or didn't know any pianos meeting my requirements. Sorry to trouble you guys, but really could't fine a solution (maybe i was typing wrong tags - as english is not my native language).
So, i'm looking for a digital piano/keyboard around 1200-1300$ or less (maybe price is the problem? But i'm pretty sure there's something good over there). It shouldn't weigh too much, i prefer light, mobile keyboards (according to the weight, it also should have 61 or 73 keys - generally 88's are overweight). I don't really care about keyboard, but it should be full-weighted or waterfall keyboard (i don't really like those plastic arranger's keyboards...who does?). When it comes to sound, apart from pianos, i often use hammond organs, wurlitzers, hammonds etc. those old, electro-mechanical instruments. It should contain quite good quality of those, also i love to play with effects, so it should contain at least few of them (chorus, maybe a bit of choruses, flangers, reverbs...). I was thinking of Nord Electro 3, also Korg SV-1 (however this one is a bit too expensive, neverthless maybe i could get used one in this price). Is there anything else? Maybe something by Kurzweil, Yamaha, Roland? Thanks for help in advance!
PS Forgive my english, hope it's at least comprehensible.

Reaction score
Thanks for recommendations. I know most of those pianos, i really forgot about SP4, maybe because i haven't played it yet. It sounds like a really good alternative for Nord and Korg, it's light, sounds good, have a pretty good opinions, and legions of satisfied users. Haven't alrady heard of RD-64, it seems to be quite nice, but not available here. Can anyone tell me more about it's quality? Keyboard, sounds, features. The demos on YT are rather poor, unfortunately.

Reaction score
I seriously have nothing against Casio's pianos. Formerly i considered Casio's as a rubbish, then completly changed my mind, after i tried px-135 :) In fact, they're not worse than others.

Great newie, just checked a presentation from NAMM. Hm, sounds like it could compete with Kurzweil. Surely it's worth trying, i definitely should try it when it'll be available in shops.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One other thing to consider if you're seriously considering Kurzweils is the SP5-8.

It has all the sounds of the PC3K and PC3LE series, but no arpeggiators or sequencers built in.

Then again you specified that you were looking for light weight. It has the traditional Kurzweil brick outhouse design of all metal casing and chassis and weighs in almost double the weight of the Casio. Then again it is truly a road worthy machine designed to be handled by crack smoking roadies and baggage handlers :D :D :D

It was introduced late Autumn last year and is currently shipping in most countries already.

http://kurzweil.com/product/sp5-8/

Reaction score
Thanks for all responses. Kurzweil's are really serious propositions (both SP-4 and Sp-5). Those two, and Casio are the main candidates to be my next piano :) If not, i guess it'd be Nord or Korg, but those two are much more expensive, unfortunately above my money limit for now. Ok, thanks once again, you illuminated the situation a bit

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One more thing to consider. The new Korg Krome. Think of it as a Kronos Lite. If you are looking for phenomenal pianos they jammed an incredible 4 GIGS of sample memory in there. It was also released last fall.

http://www.korg.com/Krome

It sells for about the same price as the Kurzweil SP5-8 is currently selling for.

Reaction score
Hmm another candidate. Hard to choose. Krome is pretty light thing, however what about it's keys? It doesn't have weighted keyboard as i noticed? I prefer weighted keys - i'm accustomed to traditional piano keys, so i prefer dynamic keyboardm with weighted keys, but neccesirly full-weighted keys. Waterfall keyboard/semi-weighted keys is good to - even better, because is lighter than full-wighted keys :)

So, anything except Privia px-5s, Kurzweils SP5 and SP4, Roland Rd64 and Nord electro/Korg sv1 which are too expensive for me?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's the keyboard specs for the Krome. From the specifications ,link on the page I originally linked.

Keyboard
Krome 61: Semi-weighted keyboard
*velocity-sensitive supported, after touch is not supported
*Standard C2-C7 (transposable in the range [C1...C6]-[C3...C8])
Krome 73: Semi-weighted keyboard
*velocity-sensitive supported, after touch is not supported
*Standard C1-C7 (transposable in the range [C0...C6]-[C2...C8])
Krome 88: NH keyboard (Natural Weighted Hammer Action] keyboard
*velocity sensitive is supported, after touch is not supported
*Standard A0-C8 (transposable in the range [A-1...C7]-[A1...C9]
*The NH keyboard reproduces the touch of an acoustic piano, with a heavier feel in the low register and a
lighter feel in the upper register.

Reaction score
Hm, the keys don't seem to be weighted. There must be a mistake in Krome's specification. Those are synthesiser/aranger keys, according to photo. They're thin and flat.

1600-Krome61_detail1.jpg

Ok, so...i have to wait till April in all probability, to check out Privia px-5s. I need to check RD-64 as well, they're both sound like decent pianos. There's also Kurzweil, which i still haven't tried out. There's a possibility that i won't enjoy any of those pianos :p then, there are still Sv-1 and Electro 3, however in that case i'd need to earn much extra money, as i am just a poor student :) In addition, Sv-1 is a bit to heavy...but it's adorable instrument, looks like it was taken straight from 70's. I'd bear it's weight :) Thanks once again!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That photo is the 61 key version with semi weighted. The 88 key version is supposed to be graded, weighted hammer action. Then again I own a Korg TR76 with synth keys and I find them very nice to play. Very quick and very responsive. Not weighted at all on the TR's except the 88 key version.

My advice would be to try out as many models as you possibly can at local music shops before you make your decision.

Ask a Question