Medley Transition

Reaction score
Hi

I'm self-taught on the Keyboard so I am not a music theory expert. My question - is there a chord progression that can be used to transition to songs in the same key within a medley? Specifically the key of C. But perhaps a general rule that can be used in other keys.

Thank you,

Tony

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not a music theory expert, either, but I've never heard of anything along those lines. I would think that it largely depends on the medley and how you want the different songs to flow from one to the other. For example, maybe you want to switch back and forth between two songs based on similarities in their lyrics, such as injecting a line from Song B in the middle of some lines from Song A because they go well together, before jumping into Song B. Or you might want to switch back and forth between two songs based on similarities in their chord progressions or melodies.

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

I would have thought that if the songs are already in the same key, half your work is already done. As Michael has said, there's no set way to do it - you just pick a spot to leave one song and move to the other. How you link them is up to you and your band (if you're playing with one). Maybe they share a particular chord (likely in your example), maybe there's a drum break that can link them, maybe it's a lyrical idea. Be creative and have fun with it.

Cheers!

Ask a Question