Midi Keyboard + Software = "real" Keyboard

Reaction score
Hi,

i got a Midi Keyboard which i would like to use instat of my real Keyboard together with a software for my PC.

Which software would u recommend. VST-Instrument support would be great.

Thank You

Reaction score
Start with the free stuff to see if you can get it working.

What spec is your PC, do you have a PCI soundcard, firewire/USB soundcard or ...?

What's the midi keyboard?

Reaction score
Cantabile Lite as a free VST host.

See if yoy can run a soundfont player SFZ+ (with a soundfont) in it.

Post back if you manage this. If you can't, don't be spending any money just yet - there are a load of helpful types on here who will try and get you going.

And welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
You should also try True Piano as a vst. It's not free, but you can find it on torrent websites. I comes standalone but it can also be integrated in any DAW software.

Reaction score
You should also try True Piano as a vst. It's not free, but you can find it on torrent websites. I comes standalone but it can also be integrated in any DAW software.

Come on. Don't be encouraging that. It has a demo so you can try it out. If you can't afford it - try SFZ+ and a free piano soundfont - and save up.

A lot of the stuff developed for us muso is done by small teams - those Torrent websites cut into the little money they get for their efforts.

Rant over.

Reaction score
Hi its this Keyboard: http://www.miditech.de/site.php4?site_id=133

Sorry its only in Germany. It connects via USB.

PC is Core2Duo 2.4 Ghz
4 Gigabyte of Ram
its onboard Soundcard.

I try Cantabile thanks. And what is soundfont Player?

Good spec for the PC. You might get away with the onboard soundcard. Try the Asio4all drivers.

Soundfonts were what we ran on Soundblaster type cards. Google it. It's like a file of sampled sounds. You need some way to play them back. SFZ is free. The files end in sf2.

Go to the Native Instruments site and download the free Kore player. It comes with sounds. See if you can get one of them playing using your keyboard - and post back.

Reaction score
Come on. Don't be encouraging that. It has a demo so you can try it out. If you can't afford it - try SFZ+ and a free piano soundfont - and save up.

A lot of the stuff developed for us muso is done by small teams - those Torrent websites cut into the little money they get for their efforts.

Rant over.

Sorry, man i didn't mean to encourage this torrents thing, but where i'm from this is a really bad habit :( and I got quite used to this.

Reaction score
I'm a biggg fan of sequencers and MIDI. I chose Propellerhead's Reason for the job. Make all my music with it. I'm mostly into rock music, though. You can get hundreds of sounds from it. It keeps on going where most normal keyboards stop. Also have some small tuts on my website.

Ask a Question