Need a portable keyboard for my 8 year old

Reaction score
He's been trucking around this Casio SA-75 for a few years and he's outgrown the 4 note polyphony.
I'd like to get him something that's about the same size (37 - 44 keys) but with 8 note polyphony minimum and preferably much better patches. I can't stand listening to 'grand piano' that sounds absolutely nothing like a piano.
Looking at other Casios, they start moving into the whole lighted keyboard thing (which I'm not sold on) and are more octaves (ie, it may be difficult for him to hold on his lap in the car). Battery power is of course a must as are built in speakers. Sub $200 would be nice, but I'm somewhat flexible.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's time to get him something with full sized keys. Otherwise the transition to full sized keys later on will be that much harder on him.

Get him a lighted Casio Keyboard with 61 keys for $100 and keep the SA75 for the excursions in the car. Or if you plan to lead him into proper piano style playing in the future go directly to a Casio Privia series electronic piano for the home and let him use the SA75 as a beater.

8 years old is a proper age to start learning how to play proper music on a proper piano. I only wish this technology had existed when I was a kid, but when I was growing up the only things available were those horrible chord organs and full blown upright pianos.

I actually own a SA76 and it's basically the same thing as the SA75 and there are a few good sounds in there. You have 100 to choose from. I use mine for ear training when I'm in front of the TV on the couch.

Reaction score
He has a full size at home but I wanted to upgrade what he's using in the car.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Oi, what's wrong with Chord Organs? That's what I started on :D

The Y-man

I'm talking about those horrid $50 Magnus Electric Chord Organs. Electromechanical with reeds and blowers. Not much better than a glorified accordion if ya ask me:D :D :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
He has a full size at home but I wanted to upgrade what he's using in the car.

Actually there's not a lot of other models available in that niche or price range. If the sound of his practicing annoys you while you drive he could always wear a set of earbuds.

Otherwise next step up with micro keys and portability is the Korg Microarranger, which is way more than you want to spend for something an 8 year old drags around.

Either that or it's a Casio 5 octave with full sized keys.

The Y_man

Reaction score
I'm talking about those horrid $50 Magnus Electric Chord Organs. Electromechanical with reeds and blowers. Not much better than a glorified accordion if ya ask me:D :D :D

Yep, those ones - brings back memories..... (we couldn't afford a "proper" organ or "electones")
I reckon conceptually, today's arrangers are much closer to the chord organ anyway..... just don't have he background noise of the blower!

The Y-man

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally I couldn't afford a real piano and I refused to play an accordion or one of those chord organs so I started out my musical journey by buying myself a $200 Yamaha Silver Plated Boehm flute for my 18th birthday ;)

Reaction score
thanks. looks like the korg is also 5 octaves. I guess I may just spring for a Casio LK-230 or 240. The sounds really don't annoy me, I was just looking for something that had more than 4 note polyphony and hoping that something portable and simple existed that used sampling that didn't cost a fortune. I took a look at the Akai Synthstation 25 too (I have an old iphone 3GS that's not being used) but I think it may be too complicated for him, hard to tell really.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well my SA76 has 8 note polphony. It may be worthwhile to take a look at simply trading up to the next model.

Ask a Question