NPV60 or DGX230/YPG235?

egs

Reaction score
Hello there,

I am a complete novice to playing keyboard/piano and I am now looking to buy a keyboard that I can use to learn how to play the piano (does this make sense?). Anyway, I am looking for a keyboard with a great piano-sound and some nice features like Yamaha Education Suite and USB-interface. I don't care much about tons of added sounds and rythms.

I have narrowed my choice, based on a tight budget, to the quite acclaimed Yamaha DGX230/YPG235 ('known quality, a lot of options, but older model) or the NPV60 (new model, supposedly great piano sound, sufficient (?) options, but no reviews to be found yet).

So my questions:
-Which keyboard would suit my whishes better?
-Does anyone already have some experience with the NP-V60 or -V80?
-Or should I be looking for a different keyboard alltogether?

Thank you for your time and response,

Regards,

egs
The Netherlands

Reaction score
I believe the NPV60 has a better piano sound. If you don't mind the plasticky keys - that's your choice.

egs

Reaction score
Wow, your fast and short reply is the most usefull information I got so far :) Thanks!

So the piano sound of the NPV60 is better. But to be sure: are the keys more ' plasticy' then the ones on the DGX230 or, just more 'plasticy' then on a real piano?

I tried comparing the NPV60 and the DGX230 on the Yamaha website and it looks like they are pretty equal in most specs. So better sound would be a good asset to base my decision on :)

Finally, just to be sure. For less money, 200-300 euros, I can find a DGX200 as well as a DGX300 on sites like eBay. I prefer a new one, but if one of this types just happens to be the best keyboard ever, I might reconsider.

Thanks again for bringing me a step further. All that's left now is learn how to play....damn.

Greetings,
egs

Reaction score
It seems that both DGX200 and DGX300 have the same plasticky keys.

When I say plasticky - i mean that cheap-ish type of keys they put in low budget keyboards, and even though they may look like real piano keys - they are not weighted at all. They are like the ones found in the PSR series except
they are "box shaped" to look like piano keys.

If you can't afford a real piano action keybed - then once again the NPV60 is your choice - and since this is your first keyboard - you won't know the difference :D

But just for the fun of it - try the CP series, the P series, or any of the clavinovas / arius pianos in the store. Just so you get the picture of what I'm talking about - even though they cost way much more :)

egs

Reaction score
Hi Skipp,

Well, I thought I had worked it all out...and then I went to the store and talked to a friend, and we were back at square one.

In the shop the salesmen told me that I shouldn't expect to much from features like the Yahama Education Suite and the ' Graded Soft Touch' . Features that 'sound nice and are good for sales' . I guess this must be true if someone selling them admits it :). And that if learning to play the piano is what I wanted, I should buy a decent 88-key digital piano. Uhmm...so kinda what you said, I guess ;)

So he steared me towards the CASIO CDP100 - I now realise that by saying this I am in the wrong forum-topic :). That got me to look at digital piano's in the 400-450 euro range. So I now have a list of possible new and used digital piano to buy:

NEW
Casio CDP-100
CASIO CDP-200R (475E without uhm...'body')
Steinfort MP80
Entrada D100A
McCrypt DP263
Hemingway DP201

USED
Yamaha P-85 (offered for 475 euro)
Casio Privia PX-310 (400 euro)
Technics SX-PR 52
Roland F30-e
(all found on dutch auctionsite Marktplaats.nl)

I think you know what's next :)......Any of them you would specifically recommend or advise against? Brands like McCrypt (house brand of Conrad online store) and Entrada, I am not familiar with, but they offer a lot of features. Somehow I have my doubts about Casio, but I am no expert. The Hemingway sounds like a good option. I wouldn't prefer a used device, but that's just because I have no idea about the age and life time expectancy of these instruments.

If you feel like it, I would appreciate it if you could shed your light one more time. I will be back with an update about my quest :)

Regards,
egs

Reaction score
I'd stay away from Casio, and if you can find the P85 used that would be a good choice.

Very basic features, and only a couple of sounds, but you get the graded hammer keybed which is good.

Haven't tried the rest of those, and honestly, I've never heard of Steinfort, Entrada or McCrypt... what the hell are those?! :D

egs

Reaction score
Update

Hi Skipp, and all others,

Well, I have now narrowed my options down to a used P85 or a Casio CDP100. But I am also strangely drawn to the Medeli / Thomann SP5500. Experts say the weighted keys are too light, and users say the keys 'sink' into the board quite deep, but it has so much features and connectivity-options.

The P85 and CDP100 may have a better 'feel' and a slightly better sound, but they lack stupid things like usb or aux in/out that seem strangely appealing to me :).

I bid 425 euro's on a 1 month old P85. If that doesn't turn out to be enough, I suspect I will be very stubborn and buy a SP5500 incl. stand for 429 at Thomann.de.

Reaction score
At this stage of things, I'm not sure that an 88-key board is all that necessary. If the intent is to learn keyboard and music theory, the aforementioned consumer-level Yamahas are just fine. If the intent is specifically to learn piano, then decent weighted keys are what's needed. And if you're going to learn some of the classical music that actually makes use of those half-dozen keys on either end of the 88-key (fairly rare) then by all means go that direction. My suggestion is to stick with those consumer-level Yamahas until you get rolling and then get more selective on your second go-round. Here in the US, those boards are usually on sale fairly cheap at the big-box stores around Christmas time in a bundle with headphones and stand.

Reaction score
Hi
I guess your comment is somewhat late. The latest message is 3 years old tomorrow... ;-)
Jørgen

Reaction score
Hi
I guess your comment is somewhat late. The latest message is 3 years old tomorrow... ;-)
Jørgen
Yup. There's another thread in here that's like this one, and the software coughed up this thread as "very like the other."

Ask a Question