Sideways or straight on

• Sideways

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Straight on

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
how do you prefer to stand?
I'd like to stand straight on so I can look right into the crowd but I always stand sideways instead so people can see that I'm playing and not miming.

Reaction score
I can't vote on this because in one band I'm straight on, in the other I'm sideways! D'oh...

I wouldn't worry about the miming aspect though. Just do what feels comfortable.

Reaction score
I just think it looks fake when I'm straight on. I don't look at my hands when I'm playing so I'm basically just stood there looking like a spare part.
I don't want to start looking at my hands because then I'll feel like a beginner who hasn't got a clue.
But I also don't want people to think we are using a backing track and I'm just pretending to play.
Ive tried singing along and dancing whilst playing.
I might just throw a few duff notes in so that they know it's live.

Reaction score
Do you seriously reckon your audience would think you're miming? It's never even entered my head as an issue to worry about. I wonder if you're over thinking this a bit?

My best advice is to just go out there, play and have fun. If you give passion and energy to your performance the audience will give it back.

Reaction score
On my days off I go watch other bands, there's plenty that mime believe me.
Full bands, calling themselves 100% live,
I have fun regardless, but I prefer to stand sideways so that people can see we don't need gimmicks.

Reaction score
The only time I've seen that kind of thing is when some artists perform live on TV shows and mime to their record. But I've never seen it live.

There's plenty of bands out there that use sequencers, backing tracks, vocal harmonizers etc, if that's what you mean. But that's not "miming".

Reaction score
Ahh, i see where the confusion is now,
I class using a backing track as miming but you dont.
So when i play organ with one hand and strings with the other to me thats live,
When they play organ with one hand and strings on a backing track you still say thats live but i class that as miming because they cant play two seperate parts with two hands but instead they have to use a backing track,
When i watch a band i prefer them to play live, if they cant manage some parts then leave them out, join a duo if you want to play to a backing track.

Ask a Question