PIANO BOOKS & Self Teaching / Recommendations?

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is in the wrong section. :(
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks to Gary, I know what gear I am now getting. However I've really been struggling with my approach on self teaching methods. I already kind of hit elsewhere on why I want to learn to read music this time around. So with that in mind:

I've had a couple of great books already recommended to me:

The Everything Reading Music Book
The Everything Essential Music Theory Book

I've since decided that I want to learn the keyboard as a Piano. After checking the tutorial links here and other places as well as a hundred books and other websites - I think the defining factor is that I need something that facilitates a SELF TEACHING approach. Many of the links I ended up kind of discouraged this approach or at the very least rubbed it off as undesirable due to not being able to learn correct form and perhaps two dozen other vital aspects I will miss out on.

Alas - I don't have the money for paid lessons/tuition. Therefore ... at my wits end sifting though all I could to find something for the self teaching method ... I came across this:

FABER PIANO ADVENTURES
I'm actually thinking of starting with one of the children's books. Not sure yet.

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with this series? There is even a YouTube Play list and audio downloads available for the series.

I understand if this is in the wrong forum - being Piano Based teachings and what not. I wont even have a keyboard with weighted keys, but that's OK as far as I am concerned. I think the structure would be a good thing for me and it would appear to teach how to read music as you go along.

Penny for your thoughts?

Reaction score
On second thoughts, I had not realized just how much religious content are in some of these books. I find that a rather big turn off. Hmmmmmm. ... needs more thought.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking of starting with one of the children's books. Not sure yet.

I think that will send you insane! Learning "old mac donald" and "humpty dumpty" is degrading and stupid!

I am sure you can learn music at an adult level. I did! I knew nothing about music at all and taught my self just 8 years ago when I was in my 50's. I had no idea what middle c was let alone where it was on the keyboard and where it was on the stave! :eek:
The first tune I learnt to play was bob dylan's."Blowin' in the wind."
I followed up with Lennon's "Imagine" and Sinatra's "fly me to the moon"
I was playing these tunes with right hand melody and left hand chords in just over a few weeks from scratch..

Forget the childrens stuff!

My way to learn was probably unethical but if worked for me. I learnt from borrowed books from the library and I sinced bought sheet music from op shops for cheap change.

Penny for your thoughts?

You owe me a penny now:p

Reaction score
That's encouraging. Yea. I'm beginning to see the importance of actually enjoying the songs one is attempting to play. Excellent Point.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
My way to learn was probably unethical but if worked for me.
I'm quoting myself here . .
A footnote: I just want to say that I never learned to play the bass cleff and that would be my biggest regret. But I learnt all the chords 3 and 4 finger method. So much rewarding now.

Best of luck Dave. Most important which ever way you do it, make it enjoyable and not frustrating. And take your time.

Reaction score
I hear ya. : ) --- I just cut and past from my journal and share in here. I'm still internalizing my approach.

........:

I figured I did so well to achieve my goal of Field Recorder & Super Zoom Camera, that I may as well - sell what was left and take the plunge into learning how to play a musical instrument. The latter is something I have mentioned a few times over the years within these like wise threads of mine. Today I believe will be the day that I go ahead and make that purchase. hmmm Actually ... will have to wait for the funds to clear after my last eBay sale clears today. BUT - None the less ... I have a keyboard picked out:

Casio WK 6600
1600-WK6600_detail2_zpsdiivfmes.jpg

Also known as a Work Station Keyboard with plenty of Inputs and Output connections.
CA_WK6600_zpsbmz0ieut.jpg

The thing is - I really have no idea when it comes to music. I LOVE music ... but have often struggled with it when it comes to "Learning" it. I'm not much into the Lyrics - I would always get the rythem of a song and hold onto that, but like how I struggled with reading, I also could not pick out the words amongst all the music. I am not sure if that makes sense, but the music I often loved. Later in my adult years, I would be like "ohhhhh that's what they are saying" ... and now I am kind of "over" the pining that much of the culture/pop/rock or whatever music had and still has in it. In that sense, music with lyrics - IMO can be a massive trigger for those of us with unbalanced emotions. BUT - Music itself ... well ... the healing potential is quite well known and something I know to be true from personal experience.

It's going to be MASSIVE challenge for me though. In Fact - It's going to be the biggest challenge I have ever had!!! - I know nothing of the fundamentals of music reading and theory ... ZERO!!! Remember how I mentioned how that primary school teacher used to smash my forehead into the table (regular occurrence that was which resulted in an investigation where she got off) by grabbing a hand full of hair on the crown of my head and using it like a handle. Long story short I become a bit of a target for such teachers. Later in high school I had a Maths teacher who seemed to love humiliating me at every chance. At any rate - among all that ... the ADHD - OCD - Dyslexia - and all those other wonderful traits that come with us so called "troubled kids" really saw me struggle hard with Maths & Music. Interestingly enough - I always loved music ... but struggled with the theory. The teachers in that subject where not so bad though. They did not beat me and humiliate me like the ones teaching me Maths. Interestingly enough, I did well with Science & English.

Righto - that's a snippet with my learning difficulties.

SO WHY EVEN BOTHER TO LEARN MUSIC THEORY? Just use your ear! ... I am being told. Sadly, this is not the way for me - Not yet. Perhaps that may develop ... all in good time. The other side of the coin is how many make out that learning the details is "easy." SIGH - I really don't think many of these people who find such things easy, understand what it's like to live with chronic learning difficulties. Like I said, I struggled with picking words out of a song, let alone following words on a line. Burn Out happens quick with us erratic types. Having said that though ... I do like to learn and I think that's no secret. I am always learning and teaching myself new things - or those things that I already know I am going back over ... like mastering one hobby as I go from one to the next but never really giving any of them up.

I think I will just include music along the same lines ... study it like I do my photography, media encoding, astronomy, chess, bush walking, exercising, healthy living, writing, poetry, philosophy, and all the rest.

I played chords on the guitar. I was told I only need to learn 3 in order to play anything I wanted. NOPE - srry ... but that story does not work for everyone. I'm a classic case of that. Scales, Octaves ... it's easy those magicians would tell me. Easy Peasy - like 123. Hmmmmmm - Not when you don't understand how music works. I need to fill in all the gaps. I simply don't operate when I don't understand where something fits and or I think something is missing. Just as I once did not read very well (pleased to say I am much improved with that now) - In the same with I struggle with reading, I also struggle with listening. Learning to read helps me to hear. With understanding comes clarity. That in itself I know to be simple. It just takes me many goes, many attempts, before it sinks in. I know from experience though ... that when something clicks I end up becoming quite proficient in whatever it is that I am learning.

Without structure - I don't seem to do so well. That's my story when it comes to simply winging it with my ear. My OCD got the best of me with my guitar and it went from being enjoyable to just a chore, but I simply did not take the time or make the effort to learn how the music worked. See what happens this next time around ... with learning the music and doing so - with a keyboard!

It's good to be stuttering a lot less these days. : )

None of that was meant as some kind of resistance to the advice I have received in here. In fact, all the gear I am getting comes from the recommendations in here. I just get really passionate when thinking things through.

I still need to find myself a good approach.

Loaning books is no good for me. I am too slow and will angst over the returning dates and or extension times.

Picking the right kind of books that allow for the dynamics of my shared post is important, otherwise it could very well end up a waste of time and money.

I know there is no such thing as the Ultimate/Perfect Book, although is a title that is commonly used.

By day's end, I think I will of nailed this aspect of which books will suit me; then I will take up less space in here and actually start learning. ; )

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The truth is Dave, if you can hum a tune and walk at the same time or learn how to touch type, then YOU TOO can learn to play a keyboard.

You're making it sound way more complicated than it really is.

Ultimately what matters most is developing your musical ear so you know when you're accidentally dropping a turd on top of the rest of the band :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Truth is subjective. What you say is like telling someoe who suffers with constant anxiety attacks to calm down during one of thier attacks.

Although well meaning in ones reply.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No, all that I'm saying, for the benefit of anyone who may read this in the future is "Don't be afraid of learning music."

99% of people who aren't totally tone deaf can carry a tune and even those who ARE tone or Totally deaf can usually at least keep a beat.

Music is endemic to the human soul and carrying on a huge tirade about how important the technicalities are sends the wrong message to most newcomers.

Humanity is a musical animal by and large and for the most part it simply is not as big a deal as you are making it out to be.

So please, by all means, put on an Enya or a Yanni CD, take a chill pill and relax. There is nothing to be gained by creating imaginary goblins to vanquish in the dark :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Your doing it again. :) ... is all good. I'm not trying to bang my head on a brick wall Gary. This is how I learn. It's who I am. Non the less your advice is still well recieved. I glean much, although often miss understood. I actually chill under such conditions.

No drama over here, but thx for the Cd recommendations.

You have any more books to recomend?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have a few recommendations but they are still packed away from the move and I can't remember the titles.

What I would suggest is some sort of piano chord encyclopaedia, some method books for jazz and blues to learn the blues scales and take a look around for free stuff online like classical sheet music and Hanon's Piano Exercises.

Believe me, the tutorial links thread sticky has more than enough stuff to keep a beginner occupied for years.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I ended up going with your original two book recommendations. Cost me a little over $60:00 AU (including postage)

http://www.booktopia.com.au/everything-reading-music-book-w-cd-schonbrun-marc/prod9781593373245.html
http://www.booktopia.com.au/everyth...ry-book-schonbrun-marc/prod9781440583391.html

You are quite correct Garry. I do over complicate things. I was just trying to make the point that it's often an involuntary process - at least to some degree.

I don't think I will worry about any Piano books as such now. Those two books will be my staple.

I take it there will be enough exercises in those books to keep me busy?

Everything you have recommended - I have ended up going with. You must have some kind of spell on me. :)

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
DigiDave how are you? I am also a beginner in music. The list prepared by Gary, is actually a library, which should be permanently consulted. But I would like to suggest to you the YouTube site: WALK THAT BASS. There are dozens of instructional films, completely free, spanning from basic to the most elaborate concepts. I consult often and repeat episodes in an attempt to internalize the different teachings and concepts about music in general and not just about jazz.

Here is the link for the channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk24OnGLcP5XlTBjZ9WBWvw/videos

And watch one episode

All the best.:)

Reaction score
I am doing well thanks. Excited perhaps, but I am sure it will pass. :) Goods in transit and soaking up lots of information. Bit of a rush this morning, but thought I would put in a quick reply.

My you tube downloader is being worked overtime. It's a great resource for learning. I was just watching a guy last night talking about how to read intervals with regard to learning to read music more fluently. However the point I was up to he more referred to things as a simple 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on ... explaining that he would talk more about the difference which I think is what your doing calling them minor and major BUT - that's all out of my comprehension ... I'm just skimming by simply watching the tuition videos and not trying to over complicate things with my thinking as Gary has done well to suggest.

I will just watch them over a couple of times and come up with search strings and use google and also my books when they come. Possibly make some posts in here, however can't really find a place for talking music theroy here ... so might go join another forum for that. Any Ideas? I just joined http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ which looks like it may have room for music theory.

I will for sure look into your channel and also the others that users in here have sugested. I will even like and subscribe. ;)

I've always been wary of jazz because I have never understood music therefore unable to improvise; at least not yet. Blues ... on the other hand ... has a beat that I enjoyed practicing on guitar - something that held my interest regardless of how easily that seems to lead into improvisation for those that can do it. Right Now ... I need some kind of concrete structure to follow that embodies the whole. Or at leas that's what I am telling myself.

Thanks for the steer ... the grounding re book selection and what not. I'll be using those books I ordered as you suggest ... but will be careful about which "Method"books I select as I am unsure which direction I want to go. Just basic methods in posture and avoiding bad habits is what comes to my mind when I think of the term "Method" ... Some classical music would be good. I played a little on guitar and enjoyed that more than the blues. If I wanted to ROTE Learn ... ??? ← does that mean learn music whilst playing??? with classical ... do I search for Piano/Keyboard Classical Method Books? ← PS- Is one pedal enough to start with regard to classical on a digi keyboard? ( I hope so)

Righto - I pull up thinking on that for now. How's that for restraint Gary. LOL hehe, just kidding.

I reply later in the other threads ... got to get on with me day. I have also decided to go to the library - You've had a positive affect on me Garry. ;)

~Later.

Last edited:

Ask a Question