Quantizing on the TCK6200

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong. I have recorded tracks. I wish to quantize the drums on track 2. In Sequencer mode I open the event editor screen. I the press Quantize button as directed by the manual and nothing happens. I'm dead in the water and can't finish this project. Somebody please help!!! If you know this keyboard and is willing to help, please PM me. John

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's over thirty pages in the manual on using the sequencer. Read the entire chapter thru a few times to get the hang of things.

Basically you have to select either a range of notes or an entire track to quantize as explained on E-89.

Gary

Reaction score
I am running out of time to finish this project. I have read the manual over and over. I must admit to a handicap to understanding the jargon. Would you be willing to help me via PM? John.

Last edited by a moderator:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sorry but I wouldn't be any help over the phone. I don't own a CTK and I generally use a Computerized DAW as my sequencer of choice.

If you want some expert help go over to
http://casiomusicforums.com and ask the experts who hang out there.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for anything faster than a 24 hour turnaround though. The internet is the world's biggest game of telephone tag.

Gary

Reaction score
Sorry but I wouldn't be any help over the phone. I don't own a CTK and I generally use a Computerized DAW as my sequencer of choice.

If you want some expert help go over to
http://casiomusicforums.com and ask the experts who hang out there.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for anything faster than a 24 hour turnaround though. The internet is the world's biggest game of telephone tag.

Gary
Thank you Gary for that info. Live long and prosper.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, it's not usually a wise idea to post your phone number on a public forum. Usually those things should be sent via email or private msg.

I put a note in with the mods to delete your number if you can't still edit the thread yourself.

Just trying to keep the duct cleaning scumbag telemarketers off of your back man :)

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks again Gary. You're a good guy. I wouldn't ordinarily do that, but I am desperate for help. Thanks for adding that note for me. I would't have known to do that. Best wishes, John.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
After looking at the manual, I can see why you're confused-- it jumps all over the place! I've attached a text document that contains the steps from the manual with all the extra steps inserted where referenced. Then I tried to summarize the steps in a simpler way, as follows:
  1. Press C-3 (SONG SEQUENCER).
  2. Hold down R-13 (FUNCTION) and press C-3 (EDIT).
  3. Press R-16 (ENTER).
  4. Hold down R-13 (FUNCTION) and use R-17 (<, >) to select the track.
  5. Press C-11 (QUANTIZE).
  6. Use R-14 (-, +) to change to "All".
  7. Use R-3, R-7, R-8, R-9, or R-10 to select the desired quantize note.
  8. Press L-16 (START/STOP) to play back with quantization applied.
  9. Press R-16 (ENTER).
  10. Press R-14 (YES) to quantize or R-14 (NO) to cancel.
I don't have a CTK-6200, so I can't try it myself. I hope it works!

Attachments

• Casio CTK-6200 Quantize Track.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 454
Reaction score
Thank you dear friend. You have saved my week. I had to finish this project before a live performance on Friday for MDA. Because of you the dancers will be able to keep perfect time and the audience will hear a perfect track. Again, thanks a million. John.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I guess it worked. :) You're welcome!

After condensing the instructions down to 10 easy-to-follow steps, I wonder why the manual was written as it was, with directions to refer to steps on another page-- which in turn refer to steps on yet another page, etc.-- instead of just briefly recapping those steps and pointing the reader to the other pages for more detailed information if needed?

Anyway, I'm glad it worked!

Reaction score
  • Casio aught to consider having people who are less technically and more logically inclined to wright their manuals. Many years ago I found a company that actually rewrote manuals for Korg keyboards and others because of that very problem. They translated the manuals into language just like you used to explain it to me. I just can not remember the name of that company or if they are still even in business. And there is no point contacting Casio Technical service. There is no one available who has actual working knowledge of that keyboard. When I got a tech on the phone and told him I was having trouble quantizing, he asked me what quantizing was. There was no point continuing that conversation. The tech service folks have no experience with the keyboards and all they can do is read to you from the manual. That my friend. is the definition of lame in my opinion. Well, it is true "you get what you pay for." Casio boasts that they are the only manufacturer that has live service technicians. That is a joke. I'm going back to Korg. Thanks again. John.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Well, I've worked in programming and support for two different companies, and I can tell you from personal experience that when a new employee is put on support, often it's a case of having to learn about things as they come up in support calls. It would be great if a new hire could receive months of in-depth training, plus become familiarized with all of the prior support calls, before ever being put on live support, but companies just don't have that kind of luxury. It can take years for a support rep to become so familiar with all aspects of a software system (or, in Casio's case, their many keyboard models) that he or she can solve a support issue literally with his or her eyes closed while sitting in a restaurant talking on a cell phone. And when a support rep does get to that level of expertise, often he or she either goes and gets a better-paying job with a different company, or else gets promoted to a supervisory position and doesn't actually take support calls anymore unless an ongoing issue has been "escalated" up the chain because the support rep who took the original call couldn't handle it. So, having been on the other side of the phone, I have some understanding of how hard it can be for a support rep to handle every call with ease. On the other hand, if the support rep is much good, he or she will use each call as an opportunity to learn something new-- such that it might take him or her longer to figure out how to solve your issue, but the next time the same issue comes up it can be dealt with more quickly.

As far as writing manuals, I remember hearing many years ago that a young man (in his early teens, or possibly a pre-teen) had gotten a new home computer from somebody like Tandy/Radio Shack (I forget exactly, it might have even been IBM, but you get the idea-- this was way, way back when home computers were just beginning to grow in popularity). When he tried to read the manual he felt that it was very poorly written, so he took it upon himself to write a manual of his own. Then he (or his parents) sent his manual to the computer company, and they liked it so much that they bought it from him. :) I don't know if they gave him a regular job as a technical writer, but it just goes to show that sometimes an "outsider" can come up with a better manual than the "insiders" at a company.

Anyway, best of luck with the performance on Friday!

Ask a Question