Recommend an affordable keyboard please?

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have visited many times but only just joined.I have had my Yamaha psr275 for years, mainly used for practicing and as a midi controller. I need something with good acoustic piano sounds and since I can't afford a motif (the limited tryouts I have had put the motif top of my desired units) I was considering a mox8 or mo8 on the used market. I have also been considering the entry level korg (krome I believe?) Can anyone recommend these or something better which would still be affordable (under 500 GBP used). Main priority features need to be good pianos and strings, midi, less important but would still be nice - decent drums and synths (leads, basses etc) Any advice or recommendations would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
88 keys or 76 or 61?

Weighted hammer action or synth action?

Have you considered a soft synth like Pianoteq to add great pianos to your PSR?

Have you considered picking up a used stage piano like a Korg SV-1 or a Casio Privia PX-3 or a Kurzweil SP4-7 or SP4-8?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I would recommend Casios, the Privia(PX) or Celviano (AP)range.
PXs are smaller, portable. The APs are designed to be like upright pianos, definitely not portable. But both series have superb piano sound and feel. Really I was surprised when trying them out just how good they are. Can get a PX150 for about £350 used or an older PX130 for much less. Also the CDP 120 is worth a look-it replaced the CDP100

Reaction score
Wow I quite disagree on the Casios. The action on their keys are poor, unless you love really loose keys that make a lot of "thunking" noise when you play them. That said, Casios do spec out better than any others for the price though, so if the key action doesn't matter as much, certainly worth a look.

I don't know what "GBPs" are and don't know typical used prices, but the Yamaha 650 would be my choice in the $750ish range, give or take. As I said on another thread, if you can up it to about $1000, I'd consider (in fact am considering) a Korg Kross, but my needs are diff than yours as advanced ability to record is most important. If you're more in the $500ish range, maybe the Casio 150.

As for a "good sound" with piano or any other instrument, IMO anything any of us tells you is pretty worthless because it is so subjective. I do think the diff's tend to be exaggerated, frankly.

Ask a Question