Recording external devices on CTK 7200

Reaction score
I am trying to record guitar and bass parts over the keyboard parts that I have already recorded (this is a Casio CTK 7200). The 16 channels are supposed to be able to record any input whether it is external (from the Instrument or MIC inputs) or internal (from the keyboard), but the manual is not clear about how. I get no signal on the channel level indicators even though the guitar or bass sound is coming through the keyboard's speakers. How do I get the keyboard to recognize the signal coming from the external inputs? (They say "Mic In RECORD" and "Inst In RECORD" right above them, so it's obvious they are meant to be recorded!) Thanks in advance!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I believe the CTK7200 has 16 track MIDI recording/sequencing, but the audio recorder is just a plain old stereo live recorder.

If you want to do this sort of real time audio multitrack audio recording you're going to have to use a computer to do it with.

I'm not certain which software packages to recommend but I believe both Reaper and Audacity are free solutions with this capability.

For illustration's sake I've attached a wiring diagram for a basic MIDI/Audio recording setup.

keyboard-record-setup-basic.jpg

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks Gary! I've done some experimenting and, to answer my own question, have come up with a solution that is fairly simple:

The "tracks" that make up a user song are divided into two parts: A and B. A is called the "System Track" and B is the 16 user tracks. You are correct that these are all midi channels and do not have the capability of recording an analog signal plugged into the instrument or mic inputs. BUT, once you have all the A and B channels you want recorded in "song sequencer" mode, you can then re-record them as an "audio file." This uses the "Audio Record" button, rather than the "Record" button. At this time the previously recorded midi tracks can be played and accompanied by ONE external analog input! I stress ONE because I don't believe that, for example, a bass guitar part AND an electric guitar part can both be recorded this way (unless there are two of you and you do them simultaneously!) . It's a one shot deal. SO...when I need more than one analog input I am going to use my stand alone 8 track digital recorder to lay down all those instruments / vocals into one signal, then input from that device into the single analog input on the keyboard. Of course syncing these signals together is the trick, but with a few trials on when to push the buttons they mesh together well.

On another related "note" : During my song sequencing, I was wanting to use the accompaniment (one key "chords" that have piano and strings combined) and those only work in A mode - "System Track". I haven't used any of the rhythym accompaniments yet, but I'm sure those will also only be available in A mode.

This way I have all the parts I want recorded into the keyboard so I don't have to mess with a computer (I don't have a laptop). There is a little noise associated with the analog signal, but what's new about that!? lol.

Ask a Question