Roland discover 5

Reaction score
Hi i have just got a old oland discover 5 , i formatted the smart media card and now i cant get it to see midi files
help

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
We were just talking about USB thumb drives in another thread. Different media, I know, but sometimes a keyboard doesn't recognize a thumb drive. Someone (not in this forum, but on Youtube) suggested that it might be the particular file system (FAT, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, exFAT, etc.) that the media is formatted with, and that it may help to reformat the media with a different file system. You might try moving all of the MIDI files off of the media, reformatting it with the FAT or FAT32 file system, moving the MIDI files back onto the media, and seeing if that helps.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try formatting it using the keyboard. Usually if a keyboard accepts flash media it has a Format Media option.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
From Page 108 of the DisCover 5's Owner's Manual:

Format

This function allows you to format the inserted
floppy disk or SmartMedia card.

It would be a good idea to also format floppy disks
formatted for MS-DOS, because that speeds up
data access. SmartMedia cards must always be for-
matted on the DisCover 5: during formatting, the
Discover 5 indeed also creates a number of folders
where your various files will be stored. An MS-DOS-
formatted card might create problems.
The DisCover 5 provides two formatting options.
Note: Do not format the SmartMedia card supplied with
your DisCover 5. It would be a pity to lose all the precious
material it contains.

I like the "down-to-earth" wording of this. You won't find this kind of "personal touch" in most modern-day manuals.
I fear that, if you formatted the SM card that came with the DisCover 5, then you have already lost all that "precious" material. If so, you can post a request over on the Roland Clan Forums to see if anyone there can provide you with replacement copies. Make your post under the "Other Roland Gear - Synthesizers and Keyboards" sub-forum:

http://forums.rolandclan.com/

If you need a copy of the manual, you can download it from the Roland website:

https://www.roland.co.uk/support/by_product/discover_5/owners_manuals/

I recommend getting all three items: the Owner's Manual, the Performance/Patch (Tone) List, and the MIDI Implementation Chart. The only problem is that these are all scanned images that have been converted to PDF "image" files. They are not PDF "text" based files, so you can not do electronic "Find" searches on them, but they ARE better than nothing.

For additional information, see this entry in the Roland "Knowledge Base":

http://www.roland.com/support/knowledge_base/201932809

Good luck with this. It looks like a nice board. I am still using my Roland G-1000 Arranger Workstation, which just recently celebrated its 18th birthday. It stores its data on 3 1/2 diskettes and Iomega "Zip" disks. I am also still using my Roland XP-80 ROMpler workstation that is now 20 years old. I like my newer boards, but both of these Rolands have features that I just can not let go of.

Regards,

Ted

Last edited:

Ask a Question