Roland Expression Pedal problem-question

Reaction score
Hello everybody
I'm trying two days now to use an expression pedal but i can't, so I could really use some help..
I have a Roland RD64 and I'm trying to change the CC value of FC2 jack to control volume (expression: CC#11) so that I can control a trumpet VST

I plug the EV-5 pedal to RD64's FC2 jack and i follow these steps:

bhlwut.jpg

but at step 2, when i press the pedal, the function mode goes inactive and the procedure can't be completed...

The pedal is brand new, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have no experience with Roland products, so I don't know if I can help, but I'll try. :)

After looking at the owner's manuals for the RD-64 and A-88, I'm wondering if you need to be in controller mode for that. Are you in controller mode? If not, try powering on the RD-64 in controller mode and see if that helps. If it does work in controller mode but not in piano mode, maybe you can't change pedal assignments in piano mode? Have you asked Roland to see what they say?

Reaction score
I have no experience with Roland products, so I don't know if I can help, but I'll try. :)

After looking at the owner's manuals for the RD-64 and A-88, I'm wondering if you need to be in controller mode for that. Are you in controller mode? If not, try powering on the RD-64 in controller mode and see if that helps. If it does work in controller mode but not in piano mode, maybe you can't change pedal assignments in piano mode? Have you asked Roland to see what they say?

You're absolutely right, I had to go to controller mode. Unfortunately the manual didn't say how but I found it from Roland site:
Controller mode: Power the RD-64 on while holding down the A.Piano button.

Problem solved!
Thanks!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You're welcome; I'm glad I could help!

By the way, the RD-64 manual does say how to power up in controller mode, on page 2-- or at least, the PDF version I'm looking at does.

But I did have troubles of my own finding certain information in the manual-- possibly because I'm reading it on a tablet PC and the app I'm using doesn't have a "search" function. Still, there was one place where it referred the reader to a certain page for instructions on how to assign the pedal functions, but there were no such instructions on that page or any other-- except now I can't even find where it said that, so maybe I was hallucinating.

Anyway, I hope you have fun with your RD-64!

Reaction score
You're welcome; I'm glad I could help!

By the way, the RD-64 manual does say how to power up in controller mode, on page 2-- or at least, the PDF version I'm looking at does.

But I did have troubles of my own finding certain information in the manual-- possibly because I'm reading it on a tablet PC and the app I'm using doesn't have a "search" function. Still, there was one place where it referred the reader to a certain page for instructions on how to assign the pedal functions, but there were no such instructions on that page or any other-- except now I can't even find where it said that, so maybe I was hallucinating.

Anyway, I hope you have fun with your RD-64!

Jesus, you're right, it is in page 2... I should be more careful..
I think i read somewhere something like "see A-88 operation manual" for more info, I did that and it had all the details I needed.
Thank you very much for you time.

Ask a Question