Roland Fp7f or Kawai ES7

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm new to forums but it'd be great to get some advice about which is better for my needs out of the Roland Fp7f or Kawai ES7 (or any other suggestions around the same budget or less).

Basically, I'm looking for an 88 key digital piano for, mainly, home use so ideally want internal speakers and a realistic 'piano' action/sound. However, I would like to be able to use it for the occassional gig if needed, so a fairly portable option, even if on the heavy side, would be good. I'd class myself as an intermediate pianist but good overall musician (primarily a brass player), so a realistic piano sound and touch is important to me. I do also want a variety of other good quality sounds on board though, for compositional and rehearsal purposes (jazz/funk/latin). I like the idea of the looper feature on the Fp7f (though I'd be interested to hear how long the loop could be and how many parts could be built up). Does the ES7 have a similar feature? What about the recording options on both? Are the accompaniment features on both similar? To me the Fp7f accompaniments perhaps sound more realistic, especially for jazz feel, but I think the ES7 has a feature where it automatically recognises the chord you are playing when comping in solos, which could be handy...It looks like the ES7 will be simpler to use than the FP7f but that probably because it's newer?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi, I researched the FP7F thoroughly. Many good things about it except for the horrible on board speakers. I was about ready to purchase it regardless until I tried the Kawai ES7. WOW! the Kawai is everything I wanted and expected the FP7F to be. The sound: incredible via headphones and far superior to the FP7F yet not ES7 not perfect but powerful and pleasing. The touch: FP7F very nice but kind of loud and thumpy when sound is off. ES7 is a bit heavier but very silky, quiet, smooth, and responsive, not mention the triple sensor. Both very realistic to an AP but ES7 feels better on fast runs and expression. Feature: both are packed with them. I just go for rich piano sound and the ES7 beats the Roland in my opinion. I am extremely happy that I bought the ES7 and love it more as I get acclimated to it. Keep in mind that roland might come out with something better. Rumor has it that the FP7F and maybe the RD700NX might be discontinued this year. I will try to answer any other questions you might have about both. Let me know. --- Blake

Reaction score
Hi Blake and Happyrat2

Thanks loads for your replies. I have had in the back of my mind that Roland are probably going to bring out something else soon, as the Fp7f is quite old now. I'm guessing that any new model will be more expensive though, so probably out of my price range. What do you think about the ES7 accompaniments, Blake? Has it got a looper or record function?

Happyrat1, thanks for the links. I'll have a look but ideally I am after a keyboard with internal speakers and also will probably get a furniture-type stand, as I plan to have it set up in my living room with only occassional outings!

Appreciate you time helping me decide ;-)

Ask a Question