Roland KC 550 Intermittent Sound

Reaction score
I have a Roland KC 550 amp.
I have had zero issues with it thus far.

I'm getting intermittent sound when higher dB levels are pushed through it.

I use to to play keyboard sounds, left hand synth bass, and foot drums (all via MainStage).

When i start to push my volume levels, the sound from the amp with just cut out for a split second then come back on.

Before I take it and spend hundreds on repair, does any have experience with this problem?

I have opened the front (taking off the front speaker) and checked the speaker wiring and it looks fine.

Any other thoughts?

Reaction score
Could be as simple as a loose connection at the speaker. Hi levels could be causing it to disconnect temporarily due to vibration.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It really could be anything from a cold solder joint to an internal thermal issue inside a transistor or an IC. Even a technician will have a hard time tracking it down unless he can reproduce the fault consistently at his bench.

Either way it's unlikely that it's anything a layman can track down without a schematic and the proper tools.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'm certainly a layman. I opened and looked for anything obvious.
Looks like I'm gonna spend a few hundred bucks on a repair.

Any luck with a backup amp like the Alto Kick 15s?

Reaction score
problem still happening. Anyone else have this issue?

At loud volumes, the sound will cut out for a few seconds. I haven't had time to take this is as this is my gigging amp.

Any other suggestions to try?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My only advice is to take it to the repair shop and gig with a rental until it's fixed.

Your other choices are slim and none :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question