Roland PC-180 with Logic?

Reaction score
Hello,
Many years ago I bought a Roland Midi Keyboard Controller PC-180.
But since I couldn't find the time, I never used it.
In the meantime I'm using a Mac and have Apple Logic Pro.
I thought I could use this keyboard (still brand new) and tried to connect it
using a MIDI-USB-Adapter/Interface-Cable (see image below),
but I couldn't get it to work. Do I need to do or to get something else?
Many thanks for any help!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's the manual for it.

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/PC-180_OM.pdf

MAN! Is that thing ever OLD!!! The manual mentions RS-232 connectors!

Anyway, here's the skinny on how to hook it up properly...

1) It either needs a fresh set of batteries or the original power supply to power it up.

2) Connect the MIDI IN Plug on your adaptor cable to the MIDI OUT port on the keyboard. Leave the other MIDI connector unplugged. Plug the USB plug into the computer.

3) Depending on the interface used, it may or may not need drivers. Most of the bargain brand ones need no drivers as they are USB MIDI Class Compliant. If your interface requires a driver it should have shipped with a disk.

4) Power up your computer and check whatever sort of device manager Apple gives you to see if the device is recognized by the OS.

5) Boot up Logic Pro and check the configuration menus for selecting the interface as the MIDI Input device.

6) At this point everything should be working unless there's a hardware defect in the keyboard or the cheap Chinese interface is dead on arrival.

Remember, this keyboard is NOT USB powered. It requires either a proper power adaptor or a set of batteries installed to make it work.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you! Before I try it... Can you confirm that that "Sound module"
(pictured on page 11 of the manual PDF) is not required?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You won't need a hardware sound module, BUT you will require at least a few VSTi plugins or "virtual instruments" loaded into your Logic Pro in order for you to be able to hear anything from your computer's speakers.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi, I started this thread a long time ago, and finally I'm back!
Unfortunately there were so many reasons why I could not continue with this issue (removal, work, family...), but now - before the end of the year - I hope I can resolve this for good, and we can start making music!

What I did:

I powered the keyboard and connected it to my Mac via Midi-USB adaptor (the one pictured above).
In the "Audio MIDI Setup" app it shows up as "USB2.0-MIDI".
So far so good.

When I enter "test MIDI setup mode" (or try playing in Logic Pro) however, it doesn't play; pressing they keys doesn't produce any sound.

In every tutorial I've found on how to setup MIDI for Mac (Logic Pro) pressing keys on the keyboard was already producing sound at this point.

This leads me to believe that I need to do some setup on the keyboard itself.
The manual is not very helpful as it seems to be explaining how to setup the keyboard with a Sound Module, which I am not using.

Attached is a screenshot of my "Audio MIDI Setup" app interface, in case this helps.

Thank you in advance!

77-384-pic.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all. Is the MIDI OUT plugged into MIDI IN on the keyboard and vice versa?

That's gotta be done right the first time.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi, I'm happy you are here! :)
Yes, one end of the adaptor is labelled "IN" - and that's what I plugged into the keyboard's "OUT" socket.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check your keyboard manual and do a Factory Reset on it to erase any garbage settings that may be in there.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary!

I checked the manual (the PDF you had linked to above, and my printed version – which seem to be the same) and I could not find anything about a Factory Reset.

On the interface (adaptor) there are three LEDs, the one (see red arrow below) is always on when connected, the other two remain off, even when pressing keys. (The tiny documentation of the adapter doesn't explain the purpose of the LEDs.)

Is there anything else I could check?

LEDS.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If the LED's are not flashing on and off when you hit a key either the interface is defective or there is a problem with the MIDI ports on the Roland.

At this point I suggest try another interface. It's not uncommon for those things to ship DOA out of the box.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A couple more things to check.

Make sure the computer/PC-180 switch is set to PC-180 and make sure your output channel is set to channel 1.

These procedures are outlined in the manual.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
> Make sure the computer/PC-180 switch is set to PC-180...

I searched through the entire manual again, but I can't find such a switch.
Where is it...?

> ... make sure your output channel is set to channel 1.

I had read about the output channel, but thought this is only required when using a sound module.
So I need it when using a MIDI/USB adaptor too?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It sees the computer as a module. The directions for a computer are 25 years out of date. Follow the directions on setting up for a sound module.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Something to do with the MIDI button and one of the keys I think.

It's a poorly written manual.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question