Sad News

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I lost my father last night, after a prolonged illness, just two weeks shy of his 91st birthday.

Don't freak out if I'm not around for a few weeks.

I have way too much stuff to deal with and I'm not feeling very musical at the moment.

Gary :(

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that, Gary. I just lost my mother last month, two weeks shy of her 87th birthday, so I can imagine what you're going through right now. My condolences to you and other family members.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind thoughts. At least his struggle is over and he now has peace.

I didn't sleep a wink last night and spent three hours today negotiating with a funeral director.

The prearrangements we'd made fell thru when the funeral home we dealt with went bankrupt suddenly last month.

So I spent half a day arguing with a different funeral director who was as smooth as any used car salesman I'd ever met.

It's a good idea to prearrange these things but even the best laid plans of mice and men get a taste of the monkeywrench when the unexpected happens.

Peace and long life to you all...

Reaction score
Gary,

My heart goes out to you for the loss of your father.

Even though this has been expected for some time,
I know the loss can still be difficult to accept.

You will be much in my thoughts for the coming days
and weeks.

Take care and be at peace, my friend.

Ted

Reaction score
I'm so very sorry to hear that, @happyrat1, it must be such a difficult time for you right now. I hope things have worked out ok with the new funeral directors, arguments are the last thing you want at a time like this.

Thinking of you and hope you are doing ok.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The arrangements are complete and the funeral is this Saturday AM.

As the eldest surviving son, I intend to say a few words on his behalf.

If you all don't mind, I'll run them past you in here, just to get some feedback.

I tried to keep it short and sweet and uplifting.

My Dear friends and family,

I thank you all for attending today.

I am not going to ruin your day with sadness, but rather celebrate the life of a man who was the heart and soul of the G**** family.

My father lived for ninety good years, enduring good times and hardship, rewards and disappointments, trials and tribulations, much as we all have in our lives.

But through all of those times, both the good and the bad, he faced life with courage and strength, dignity and compassion for all, infecting everyone he met with his good nature and down to earth sense of humor.

He was a dedicated husband and father, working tirelessly to provide for his family and employees, always a stickler for duty and honor and honesty.

He spoke the truth, even when it was not the easiest option, but would not beat you over the head with it. Rather he'd tell you with sympathy and kindness, knowing that it was the right thing to do.

He inspired everyone around him to do the same, knowing that karma pays back what you give. “As ye sow so shall ye reap,” the bible tells us.

In return, he received unconditional love from almost everyone who knew him.

His final year was the hardest, as we all now know, but through it all we endured as a family and never forsook him and did whatever we could to ease his burden.

Now his pain has ended, and he has rejoined our mother in whatever peace there is to be found in the afterlife, and yes, we do mourn his passing.

But the life lessons he taught all of us shall remain in our hearts for the remainder of our days, and hopefully infect others with our own loving and generous spirits.

We love you papa, and you shall never be forgotten as long as our own hearts beat on.

Reaction score
That's really touching, I'm sure it will be perfect. Like you say - short, sweet and uplifting :) Have you chosen music for the ceremony?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My father loved Johann Strauss Waltzes and Traditional German Music.

I picked up a 5 CD compilation of Strauss Waltzes, Polkas and Marches.

It should make a lot of my family happy.

Gary

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
That was very well put; I wouldn't change a word of it. I don't know how you feel about hugs, but here's a cyber-hug from me. Best wishes to you and yours, (((Gary)))!

Reaction score
Gary

I don't think anyone could have said it any better, and I think your choice of music fits your words very well.

May you find peace and comfort with family and friends in the coming days.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The service actually went well yesterday. There was a good turnout of friends and family and people were actually in good spirits after we laid him to rest.

Everyone was well aware of the living hell he'd been through this past year and I managed to impart a sense of relief that his suffering had ended and that he had rejoined my mom.

As his brother laid my dad's urn into the niche I remarked that my mom had the bigger box but at least my dad had the final word. ;)

Even the minister cracked a smile at that one.

Afterward we all met at the reception and nobody was overly sad.

His passing was merciful after a long period of suffering and we all realized he had lived 90 good years before meeting his fate.

Thanks to all who offered me their condolences here on the forum and hopefully you'll take with you the realization that every second we spend on this earth with our loved ones is a blessing and that sometimes a peaceful death is more merciful than struggling on against the inevitable.

Peace out ;)

Gary

Reaction score
I'm really pleased to hear it went well, I'm sure that's a big weight off your mind. It sounds like you are in a good place right now, you have been in our thoughts.

P.S. You comment about your dad having the last word made me chuckle! Humour is a great healer :)

Ask a Question