setup help for hammond xk3-c and piano

Reaction score
hi, i'm brand new here. my name is kib, professional player for over 50 years now. i'm interested in buying a hammond xk3-c and leslie 3300 or leslie mk2101 and 15" woofer in separate bottom leslie cabinet . i also use a keyboard controller and sound module for piano etc.

i don't want to carry 2 separate amps, the leslie and an amp for the controller/piano.

my question is this; i am wondering if i could use the mk2101 leslie top and bottom cabinet for the xk3-c...but just the bottom cabinet for the controller. that way whenever the leslie is on fast speed, it won't affect the piano sound coming out the cabinet. possibly some custom wiring or input jacks would need to be installed in the bottom cabinet? i have a small sub mixer and QSC 1000 W powered monitor but i'm 65 now and would be a chore to lug extra cabs. thx for any advice on this... kib

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
How about buying a Neo Ventilator II Leslie Emulation Pedal instead of a genuine Leslie Cabinet? Then you could run it thru any amp you'd like.

Gary

Reaction score
Yes, the 2101 has a rotary input and a stationary input as well so you could run the xk3c through the rotary input and the piano through the stationary speakers. I use to carry a separate Motion Sound leslie for the hammond but I switched to the Neo Ventilator and now leave the leslie at home. Since the QSC has two inputs you could run the xk3c through the Vent then into channel 1 of the QSC and the piano into channel two of the QSC, or both into separate channels of a mixer, then into the QSC.

How good is the Neo Vent? Listen to this comparison:

"A" is the XM2 (same sim as the XK3c), "B" is the Vent and "C" is a 122.

Reaction score
hi, i'm brand new here. my name is kib, professional player for over 50 years now. i'm interested in buying a hammond xk3-c and leslie 3300 or leslie mk2101 and 15" woofer in separate bottom leslie cabinet . i also use a keyboard controller and sound module for piano etc.

i don't want to carry 2 separate amps, the leslie and an amp for the controller/piano.

my question is this; i am wondering if i could use the mk2101 leslie top and bottom cabinet for the xk3-c...but just the bottom cabinet for the controller. that way whenever the leslie is on fast speed, it won't affect the piano sound coming out the cabinet. possibly some custom wiring or input jacks would need to be installed in the bottom cabinet? i have a small sub mixer and QSC 1000 W powered monitor but i'm 65 now and would be a chore to lug extra cabs. thx for any advice on this... kib

I use an older XK-3 with a Vent and half moon, that screws perfectly onto the Hammond. It also has a STOP position. (sold on ebay by the way). And a MOX8 for pianos, etc. I ran through all the common options. Rolands actually 4 of them at one time, hated the sound, then a real Leslie 122 ( I am a Hammond Tech and have several) and various amps. Best thing I did for gigging is get a couple of QSC K10s (sometimes with sub) and in stereo the Vent sounds great (you can mod the vent for stereo input too), And the pianos and strings, also sound fantastic. I route the XK-3 into the Vent then to the MOX, and stereo out to the K10s. Small gigs you can just use one K10 in mono.

Found the tip about the QSCs on another board years ago. They sound right to my ears. If you are using a heavy organ in the gigs like Jazz, etc then you may want to go with a real Leslie of some type ,but due to the EQ of a real Leslie your not going to like the piano sound. Good luck.

Ask a Question