Sit Down or Stand Up?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I have never played my KB standing up.
I was wondering if there is any benefit in standing up?
I know some Rock musos play it standing but I think most sit down.
What is better? Are there pros and cons for both or is it just a personal preference thing?
Bear in mind, I play just about 99% of everything with sheet music. Maybe that makes a difference?
Also I am not performing for anyone. So I don't need to be showy!
Looking forward to your comments and/or ideas. :)

Reaction score
Hi Ray, I'm a stander:

tumblr_o5b109AUS11ual3guo1_540.jpg

To answer your questions (just in my opinion, others will have different thoughts):

1. Benefits are:
- I can move around to the music and dance a little where appropriate, which helps me give some energy to the performance
- I use X-stands, and they're very uncomfortable to sit with as the bars get in the way of your knees. The standing position also places less pressure on the pivot point of the stand, which means less chance of a collapse (I've never experienced one).
- When I use my L-shape configuration (as in this picture) I can move very easily between keyboards
- I don't have to lug a stool around

2. I would say it's personal preference. Personally I actually find it quite a bit easier and less fatiguing to play sitting, which is (of course) how I learned to play piano as a young chap. I have an acoustic piano at home and it's a pleasure just to sit and play when the spirit moves me. I just prefer standing for live performance for the reasons mentioned above. I don't think one is better than another, it's whatever makes people comfortable on stage.

3. Makes no difference for reading. As you can see above I read comfortably using a tablet when standing. At rehearsal I use a normal music stand with a book - they're height adjustable.

Cool question, interested in others' thoughts.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
My old Farfisa Matador organ was designed so you could tilt it back on its stand if you wanted to play it standing up. I know that some generic keyboard stands are designed so they can be tilted. Yet whenever I see keyboardists surrounded by their arsenal of equipment at concerts, I don't think they ever have their keyboards tilted at an angle like that.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Ray, I'm a stander:

tumblr_o5b109AUS11ual3guo1_540.jpg
Thanks for your response Cowboy. I appreciate that. You look so comfortable in that photo. I notice that your forearms are tilted at roughly 25 - 30 degrees. This interests me because sitting down, my elbows are almost in line with my hands (horizontal). Probably raised by only 5 - 10 degrees. From what I have read and can see from your photo, my angle is too small. But the problem is to increase the angle, then the keyboard needs to be lowered. If I lower the keyboard anymore it will be pressing down on my knees. Is this a common problem or am I just awkward? Am I sitting to close?
This is the reason I asked the question.

Do you use a sustain pedal? Is that possible standing?

Anyway, I am mostly happy with my playing. But I do have an X stand as well. The cross bars can get in the way so one has to spread eagle the legs somewhat. Anyway I don't usually wear a skirt:D.
Thinking I might adjust th X stand this weekend to raise it and try standing. Just to try it out.
Cheers

Reaction score
I notice that your forearms are tilted at roughly 25 - 30 degrees. This interests me because sitting down, my elbows are almost in line with my hands (horizontal). Probably raised by only 5 - 10 degrees. From what I have read and can see from your photo, my angle is too small.
To be honest mate, your way of playing is (in my opinion) ergonomically more sound. This standing angle forces me to hinge at the wrists which actually makes playing a little trickier and more fatiguing. I really don't do it for comfort to be frank. If I look comfortable on stage it's probably because I've been doing this for 25 years, not because I have brilliant technique (I don't).

Do you use a sustain pedal? Is that possible standing?
In the picture above, I am actually using three sustain pedals, one for each keyboard. The trick is to take your weight back on your heel - with practice it becomes second nature and you don't even have to think about it.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally I always play standing. It's ridiculous when you have three or four keyboards to try and swivel back and forth on a stool.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Pfffft! Surely the kids can go without vitamins or vaccinations for a few years to support daddy's gear habit :D

Give em Tic Tacs and they'll never know the difference :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
That was funny Gary.
The George Carlin video tha follows is also funny.
Guy says "how do I get to carnegie hall? Can I take the subway?"
Other guy "do you have a gun permit?":p

Reaction score
I've played standing up for many years. I think it looked cooler from off-stage when the entire band stood (except the drummer of course), and moved in cadence with some tunes, creating not only the audio but also visual accompaniment. However this year I decided to start sitting, simply due to the fatigue involved with the merger of aging and standing for 45-60 minute sets. I picked up a sweet Musicians Gear padded bench that folds nearly flat (easy to gig with), that has 5 or 6 height adjustments--one to the point of being 30" off the ground. After doing a few gigs this year sitting, I am missing NOTHING. And whether it's psychological or not, I seem to be able to maneuver between the keyboards, settings, etc. easier while sitting.

Reaction score
I usually stand when I play. I sing better standing, plus I dance around. Often I use 3 keyboards, and the third keyboard is a little high for sitting.

Reaction score
I too usually play standing up for all the reasons mentioned by Jimmy Alber. The one exception where it's easier to sit while playing is if I have a lot of "pianistic" music to play - i.e. both hands, more complex music. Standing up is fine for the most part if I'm playing typical chords and percussive support.

Ask a Question