Software to work with Pianomarvel

Reaction score
Greetings, hope you're all doing well.
So I'm using a program called Pianomarvel to get better at reading sheet music, and it's actually a decent application, however I've got one 'problem'. The program doesn't have a VST piano implemented, so I can't actually hear when I play the piano through my headphones, I have to turn up the volume on the keyboard itself and hear it from the outside. While this is a solution, I live in an apartment and it's not exactly great sounding to be practicing these drills, and it limits me to only play when I'm alone (which is not very often).
I can't use Cubase, as it completely takes up the sound card, so I can only play the piano sounds while Cubase itself is open.

Does anybody know of an application that will let me hear piano through the computer while at the same time using Pianomarvel? Is it even possible? I guess maybe I'll need a third program to allow me to send the same MIDI signals to both programs at once.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok so I've tried using this software called LoopBe1 that should allow several connections. The idea is to let it receive MIDI data from Cubase and then use LoopBe1 as an input on the other application (Piano Marvel). Thing is, Piano Marvel doesn't receive any MIDI signals when I choose LoopBe1 as input, even though I've set Cubase's output to LoopBe1 (and active). What am I doing wrong here?

Reaction score
Nevermind, it was just me being plain damn stupid... I had forgot that I had set LoopBe1 to mute. Now I just have to figure out how to actually hear the instrument too while its output is set to LoopBe1...

Reaction score
Oh yes! You just create two tracks and give them different output routings.... then you select both tracks with the mouse in order to play both at once in Cubase. It works! Damn this is great. If anyone ever need to do the same (like hear an instrument in Cubase while using other applications), here are the steps:

1. Download LoopBe1 (is free). Is default set to non-mute, but if you right click the icon in your window hidden icons, you can mute it like I did. Just remember it if you do so... lol
  2. Open Cubase, open device setup and make sure under VST audio system that you have UNchecked the 'release driver when application in background'
  3. In device settings, go to MIDI port setup and make sure LoopBe Internal MIDI is NOT set as an input (this will give you an error I think) - i.e., make it inactive
  4. Make the LoopBe Internal MIDI active as an output. Do this by going to Transport > Project Synchronization Setup, and at the bottom, at MIDI Clock Out, enable LoopBe
  5. Create two MIDI tracks. Assign the first one's output to your VST instrument/interface. Select LoopBe Internal MIDI as the other one's output. When you are done, make sure to select both tracks with the mouse so that you play both at once
  6. Now, go to your other application (in my case, Piano Marvel) and set up the MIDI settings so that your input is connected to LoopBe. You should now be able to receive MIDI signals from your controller/keyboard and still hear it in Cubase. So the signal goes like this... controller -> Cubase -> LoopBe 1 -> Piano Marvel/other application
  7. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
LOL . . . more than half of the people here on this forum are asleep! Maybe is why you get no response. Anyway i am awake and I haven't got any freakin' idea what you are talking about . . Chuckle:eek:
Glad you sorted your loopbe1 (whatever that is:D)

Reaction score
Lol I forgot, it's early day on this side of the globe :D Well in simple turns: now I can play anything in Cubase and still hear it while at the same time using the same MIDI signals in other applications... all at the same time :cool:

Reaction score
I'm in Europe, Scandinavia ;) I think I reached editing one of my last comments in time, but I accidentally wrote it in my native language first, because I was so absorbed with getting this to work lol.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Thank you for mentioning Piano Marvel, Neutron! I'd never heard of it before. :)

Reaction score
We got your edit in english. I can see it. 4 above this one
Greetings from australia.

Thanks, would love to travel there someday!

Thank you for mentioning Piano Marvel, Neutron! I'd never heard of it before. :)

It's actually pretty great. They also cover a lot of techniques besides sheet reading (like sight reading, rhytms and so on), and they have a whole library where you can pick random songs to practice with besides the general lessons. The best is the automatic feedback though. Being able to play and have the computer itself watch if you're actually playing the notes right is pure genius. I just wish they hadn't chosen such a cheesy name for it lol.

Reaction score
Oh I'd totally forgotten that the 'release driver when application in background', which enables me to play the vst instrument with Cubase minimized would also prevent me from listening to the sound in other applications like Piano Marvel (or YouTube). So I'm actually only able to do one thing.. again... Sheesh, this is so frustrating.

Reaction score
I guess I'll just have to either do it without the sound in Piano Marvel or the sound from Cubase... question is which one is worst lol. I know that Cubase requires a lot of the computer's attention, but why did they have to make it so hard to just break the rules anyway. It's truly frustrating not to be able to run Cubase while at the same time running other apps with media and still hear them. Wish the devs would make this feature available in the future...
Is it really not possible to do this without buying an expensive sound card?

Reaction score
I did it! Finally got it working! Here's what I did:
  1. Still do the steps with LoopBe 1
  2. Install wonderful software called Voicemeeter Banana that is free: http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/banana.htm
  3. Watch this tutorial on how to set up and remember to like the video in gratitude:
  4. In Cubase device setup > VST audio system, instead of choosing normal ASIO4ALL or whatever you normally use, choose Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO
  5. Enjoy your new ability to play anything in your DAW while at the same time sending signals to multiple programs that uses MIDI and at the same time watch Youtube videos or whatever Windows sound input devices (like Piano Marvel) simultaneously, without having to buy an external sound card or anything. All this without having to check that stupid box every time under device setup that releases the driver.
    You can also connect other external devices like mics and so forth..
Before I did this, I tried ASIO multi server, which was also quite nice to connect ASIO apps together but (unfortunately) not windows sound with ASIO.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just note that if you want to change the volume of your audio you have to do it through Voicemeeter now, which is a mild disadvantage (like, it's nicer to do with your keyboard). Maybe it can be fixed with a hotkey.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It sounds like you've had a busy day! Thank you for posting the instructions on how to get it working. :)

Reaction score
Yeah I've spent some solid hours on this now, but now it's finally working like I wanted, and it's just totally worth it. The ability to just switch instantly between the programs without problems is gold :p

Reaction score
Oh I figured out the problem with not being able to adjust the volume with your keyboard anymore. In Voicemeeter Banana, you just go to the menu and connect your key to A1 volume fader. Wonderful program. Also, if you feel like you can't reach appropriate volume heights/lows, just adjust your volume to the level you want before using Voicemeeter. The volume "start level" will be kept when changing to Voicemeeter.

Last edited:

Ask a Question