SP2X -- Unstable Pitch

A

Al Evans

It's sort of like auto-portamento. Sometimes the pitch will go up or down a half-step or a step as I'm playing. Turning the keyboard off and back on usually cures it, at least temporarily. But the problem comes back.

The SP2X in question is about 7-8 years old, works fine otherwise.

Has anybody got an idea what's wrong and how to fix it?

--Al Evans

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try disabling the pitch bend wheel and see if the problem goes away. If so the pitch wheel pot needs replacement.

Gary ;)

A

Al Evans

Try disabling the pitch bend wheel and see if the problem goes away. If so the pitch wheel pot needs replacement.

Gary ;)

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I don't find any straightforward way to disable the pitch wheel on the SP2X -- it's either not possible, or not described in the manual. Do you happen to know how to do it?

--Al Evans

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I wonder if setting the pitch bend range to +/- 0 semitones would do the trick?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Dunno about the SP2X.

I'd suggest posting over at http://cunka.com or else calling up Kurzweil support for the info. Both excellent sources of info for all things Kurzweil.

Gary ;)

A

Al Evans

I wonder if setting the pitch bend range to +/- 0 semitones would do the trick?

As far as I can tell, the pitch bend wheel is a kind of vestigial appendage on this keyboard. After going through the whole manual and extensively searching the internet, I believe it's stuck with 2 semitones up, 1 semitone down. Maybe it is useful only when the SP2X is used as a MIDI controller; as I recall, it acts like a normal pitch wheel then.

Dunno about the SP2X.

I'd suggest posting over at [link to cunka -- the forum wouldn't let me post the link] or else calling up Kurzweil support for the info. Both excellent sources of info for all things Kurzweil.

Gary ;)

I couldn't find any content at cunka -- there seemed to be some indication that I needed to pay money to access it. I've tried registering, I'll see what happens. I'll try calling Kurzweil support shortly.

Thank you both for the responses!

--Al Evans

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Cunka allows free access to the Mastering VAST forums. Registration is really all that's required. Donations to the board are optional.

Gary ;)

A

Al Evans

So at this point, Jean Bellfeuille of Kurzweil has told me how to disable the pitch wheel, I've done that, and I'm going to try it that way for a few days and see if the problem is gone. If so, that would indicate the pitch wheel is bad.

The method of activating/deactivating the pitch wheel isn't in the manual, so just in case someone else needs it:

1- from Program mode, press EDIT. (This didn't do anything for me, but maybe it's because I don't have the latest software)

2- press + hold the "Knob Mode" button and at the same time rock the Pitch Wheel. This selects the wheel onscreen for assignment, briefly displaying "UHl" as confirmation followed by "En" for enabled.

** 3- press either the "-/No" or "+/Yes" buttons (beneath the display) to change the setting to "diS" for 'disabled'.

4- press Store, press PROGRAM (screen displays "In?"), then press +/Yes to confirm.
Now in Program mode the PW will be globally disabled. If you also need to shut things off for Setups each will need to be programmed individually.

Hope this will be useful to someone else!

--Al Evans

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Good to hear. Let us know how it works without the pitch wheel for a few days.

Gary

Ask a Question