Summing stereo piano sound to mono

Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find a discussion that quite covered my experience with mono vs stereo piano sound through a PA system so I thought I would share my own experience.

After many years playing my Yamaha P200 and CP33 through headphones or stereo monitors I recently started playing in public for the first time and had to get to grips with amplification i.e. buy a PA system. I dived in and bought a Bose L1 Compact and was immediately very disappointed with the quality of the piano sounds. I had got used to the great Yamaha piano sounds and by comparision, the Bose sounded terrible - only with piano patches - other instrument patches sounded fine. I use Band in A Box on a laptop and a small mixer and tried every possible combination of connections but no matter what I did (including using the L/mono keyboard out connection) the piano always sounded "thin" and "reedy" through the single Bose PA.

I then did a lot of research, especially on the Bose forum, and discovered this "stereo summed to mono" issue is well known but perhaps not very well understood. It seems that piano patches are different from every other instrument because they are produced with left and right samples that cover the width of the accoustic piano. The only way to maintain this piano realism is to keep the channels separate until they enter your ear. If you sum to mono the samples intefer with each other i.e. you get phase cancellation and the piano realism is lost. This happens regardless of the point at which the channels are summed - from the keyboard, to the mixer, to the PA.

I was convinced enough to go out and buy a second Bose Compact (yes, I know, another $1000) and connected them in stereo and what a difference! My beloved Yamaha piano sound was back. This was very obvious to me and just about everywhere in a room where I was playing for about 130 people. Standing far to the left or right the improvement wasn't as obvious as you might expect but if I placed the two Compacts right next to each other there was still a big improvement.

I have heard it said that stereo is a waste of time when gigging because only a few people sitting in the sweet spot can hear the stereo. I had no answer to this until I realized that the issue is all about phase cancellation, not about listening in stereo. If you sum a piano sound to mono you degrade the quality regardless of where people are sitting. The improvement was dramatic with my Bose PAs which claim to have a "spatial" sound field but cannor say how things would sound using stereo through more conventional speakers - perhaps someone can comment?

The bottom line is that I play better when I sound better.

Regards
Tony

Reaction score
I'm dealing with this stereo / mono decision too. I like stereo sound so much better than mono. It's not just about keyboard sound. Lots of things sound better in stereo. I was making mono tracks but I think I'll make stereo tracks now. I don't play to big audiences so I think nothing is lost in front of my PA speakers. I can always change my tracks to mono if I need.

I have a small modular PA with two powered speakers and an eight channel mixer.

Reaction score
The stereo/mono issue is a problem for live band work. I've been mono for live band work for years. Recording - you can do what you like. I look for a Left/Mono output in any gigging keyboard.

@Tony - your Bose L1 Compacts - are you doing a vocal and piano thing or using them in a band situation with drums, bass etc...?

Reaction score
Phase cancellation is a fact when summing, you can only reduce it but not eliminate it. Have you considered panning your output to only ONE channel (say, the left channel) and outputing that mono source to your outboard gear to avoid summing altogethor? That will pretty much solve your issues when playing live on mono outputs.

Reaction score
I do piano/vocal/backing tracks gigs and use two 15" EON G2s for my PA/amps....I run my keyboard in stereo most of the time...however when I do really small gigs like a private party at a home I use only one speaker and run both the L and R outputs into the one unit. It still sounds pretty good...not as good as stereo, but considering I only have to load in/out one G2 I can live with it for one night.

Reaction score
Yeah I remember when I started doing shows and I spent a ton of time importing and arranging my stereo samples into our samplers and then got to the venue and the guy running the soundboard told me he wanted to output to mono. It's true that stereo is pretty meaningless in live venues but in a small room at a somewhat lower volume it may seem subjectively better in stereo depending on the monitor placement and the stereo spread of the output material. Either way, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Mono is OK, but phasing isn't.

Ask a Question