Synth/Keyboard beginner need help with equipment purchase

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a long time piano player, my friends and I are starting a Type O Negative and keys and vocals are falling to me. I have only ever played a piano so I am completely ignorant to electronic keyboards. I have been researching the last few weeks, so I know a little bit about workstations and such, but I wanted to ask someone who could recommend some gear.

I found a post that Josh Silver, Type O's keyboard player, posted on his gear, but it was back in 2004.

"This is what I use. A Roland A-50 controller for program changes hooked up to two yamaha foot pedals one for flipping through program chains and one for sustain. The A-50's four midi outs are connected to a Roland D-50, an Korg M-1, a Mirage antique sampler and a DSP-5 effects processor. The Yamaha DX-7 is only used to trigger an Emax sampler (rack). I use a Kurzweil 2000 keyboard, with Roland bass pedals hooked into one midi channel for foot triggering of samples (in real time) and I also use the keyboard to simultaneously play with hands. All the outs are running through a Mackie 16 channels mixer (with a PCM 70 or Yamaha rev 7), JBL power amp, and two Elite 2-15", horn and super bullet cabs, to monitor myself, sub mix myself and annoy the rest of the band. This set up is inefficient but it's difficult to cover 15 years of material with any degree of accuracy any other way."

I was wondering, since it is a decade later, is there a more efficient way to recreate the sound he was getting with that setup? Instead of a controller, 2 synths, an effects processor, a sampler rack, a keyboard, and an antique sampler (whatever that is). Could I for instance buy a workstation and a synth and get close to the same sound he had, it doesn't have to be spot on, and the simpler to use the better, although I am more than willing to learn a harder interface if it is worth it in quality.

Also, as I said I am a beginner, but if the piece of equipment I need is a workstation, is there a way to play sounds on it, and then plug a different keyboard, a midi controller for instance (not sure if that is the right piece of equipment), into the workstation and play different sounds on it at the same time, I noticed he is doing this pretty much the whole time at their concerts.

Thanks in advance for any help, money is really not that big of an issue, I looked at some workstations such as the MOXF, Krome, and FA-08 and those are well within my range if they would fit my need. Any help would be appreciated.

Ask a Question