Synthesizer Keyboard Recommendations

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm new to this forum, and I would like some people's opinions on what type of synthesizer I should buy. I'm looking for a full 88 key model, with a sound bank and preferably some type of MIDI input/output so I can play with it with different software on my laptop. I'm looking for weighted keys as well.
I've been playing piano for 9+ years now, and have never owned my own synth. I am a percussionist at my school, and the synth player for marching band as well as the pianist for Jazz band. I usually play on a Yamaha S90 ES that the school owns, but am looking a little less expensive than that.
Ideas, anyone?
Thanks!

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
The "good" news is that I'm unaware of any 88 key synthesizer which doesn't include MIDI input/output. Additionally, I suspect that there are no 88 note keyboards without weighted keys. What would be the purpose of making a piano sized keyboard without at least attempting to recreate the piano experience. (On the other hand, how successful that attempt is is a different question.)

I've attempted to find the Yamaha S90 ES on the Sweetwater site. I wasn't successful, so I'm not sure what price point you're looking for. I found one "in good condition" for about $1,400, but that may be a used price.

Now for the real questions. What do you imagine the keyboard will do for you? Are you looking primarily for something that sounds like a piano but also includes other useful sounds? Or are you looking for something that will let you create new sounds that no one's ever heard before? Or both? Do you think the keyboard will include onboard speakers or do you plan on buying a keyboard amp, too? Are you at all interested in having it play pre-programmed rhythm tracks? Do you want to create your own accompaniment tracks? Are you looking for a full blown 16 track sequencer?

Reaction score
The "good" news is that I'm unaware of any 88 key synthesizer which doesn't include MIDI input/output. Additionally, I suspect that there are no 88 note keyboards without weighted keys. What would be the purpose of making a piano sized keyboard without at least attempting to recreate the piano experience. (On the other hand, how successful that attempt is is a different question.)

I've attempted to find the Yamaha S90 ES on the Sweetwater site. I wasn't successful, so I'm not sure what price point you're looking for. I found one "in good condition" for about $1,400, but that may be a used price.

Now for the real questions. What do you imagine the keyboard will do for you? Are you looking primarily for something that sounds like a piano but also includes other useful sounds? Or are you looking for something that will let you create new sounds that no one's ever heard before? Or both? Do you think the keyboard will include onboard speakers or do you plan on buying a keyboard amp, too? Are you at all interested in having it play pre-programmed rhythm tracks? Do you want to create your own accompaniment tracks? Are you looking for a full blown 16 track sequencer?

Yes they normally run about $1,400, but I was hoping to find something below $1000 in general.
I'm hoping it will be something I can practice on in a more traditional sense, like a regular piano, but also something I can play around with too. I'm thinking headphones sound wise. It doesn't have to include speakers; my other one requires hooking up to speakers or having headphones plugged in to hear, which I have no issue with. I'm not really looking for a sequencer, or anything including tracks. I'd rather just create different sounds on a software I have and use the keyboard to play them with.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Take a look at the Yamaha DGX-660

Gary ;)

I've got the previous generation of the DGX-660, a DGX-650. The capabilities of the 660 are barely perceptible over the 650, so you might save a little money on the 650. (I've heard that's also true for the 640, for even more savings.)

I'm very happy with my 650, so I can't believe you wouldn't be happy with the 660.

Reaction score
I've got the previous generation of the DGX-660, a DGX-650. The capabilities of the 660 are barely perceptible over the 650, so you might save a little money on the 650. (I've heard that's also true for the 640, for even more savings.)

I'm very happy with my 650, so I can't believe you wouldn't be happy with the 660.

Thank you guys :) I'll definitely take a look at both!

Ask a Question